ITIL any good on its own?

Discussion in 'Service Management Frameworks' started by shocksl, Apr 22, 2012.

1. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

Ho difficult is it to find an entry level IT support role progressing to 2nd line with just an ITIL foundation?

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

With any good/best practice methodology, it goes hand in hand with experience.

Are you asking cause you have no experience or no other (technical or non-technical) IT qualifications?

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Coming in to this slightly later but....

ITIL Foundation is definitely something you should consider to expand your understanding of why things are done the way they are however there is a time and a place to do that.

I am actually going through the ITIL v3 (sorry 2012 revision) of the course at the moment (started today), I last did ITIL v2 about 7 years ago and things have moved on since then.

My company have decided that staff in all sorts of roles within IT should have a better understanding of the ITIL framework and are putting us all through it to help us improve our understanding of what it is we are trying to do as an IT function within our organisation.

When I first did ITIL v2 all those years ago it gave me a better understanding of Problem Management, RCA, Incident Management etc and can't hurt peoples careers by having it on their CV.

One thing I do have to say is that it's a very VERY dry subject and you may well find yourself falling asleep if you're not too careful.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Yes, that is sooooo true...

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security