1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IT Support Assistant job interview advice

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by convan, May 24, 2009.

1. convan

convan New Member

Hello,

I have applied for an IT support assistant position and have an interview next week. My experience with IT is not in this field (IT Support) and so I would like some advice and information regarding the interview.

There is going to be a short practical test including the interview.

I would like to know what sort of technical questions I am likely to be asked and what the practical test might involve from your past experiences, so that I may prepare sufficiently.

Any help and advice you may give me is much appreciated.

Thanks,:blink

Mr C.

2. jk2447

jk2447 Petabyte Poster Moderator

Hi, welcome to the forum. Why not introduce yourself here: http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/forum21.html

To answer this I'll need a bit more info. What is your current role? And what is the role you are applying for?

Do you have any IT NVQ's or certificates?

James

Certifications: BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, VCP4, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VCP5, VCP6-NV
  3. convan

convan New Member

hi, thanks for replying. well my current position is in radiograpphy and havent been working in the IT industry directly for more than 3 years. I have applied for position as IT support assitant, support in windows, office and using active directory aswell as trouble shooting pc hardeware and networking was in the job disrciption. I can do all the requirements to of the job role except Active directory i know what it is and have played about with it but quite a while back. i think i might have stated in my application that i can use it in a manner more than i can:biggrin. the only qualification i have at the moment is A level in computer studies. the rest i have picked up during work placements and through personnel intrest in IT and when i have not been working in IT i have tried to keep up with the changes in technology. at the moment i am selfstudying to get my MCDST qualification and really want to get back into IT. the interview will consist of a small tech test which is making me a bit nervous :eek: and to top it all my laptops GPU packet up the day i got the confirmation letter for the interview.
    any help would be appreciated
    thanks

Mr C

4. Necroscope

Necroscope Nibble Poster

The last IT Support Assistant job interview I had, there was 3 tech questions, 1) what would you do if someone phoned the helpdesk and said that last email they got was over a month ago, 2) someone phones and says there monitor wont come on but there are lights on the desktop, cant remeber what the other one was. Also had a database test using excel, taking data and creating a new database and then creating a graph.

Certifications: A+, N+,70-210, 70-270,MCDST,ECDL,CSCS
    WIP: ITIL v3 Foundation (sent me to sleep 3 times don't think made it past page 15), 70-680
  5. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Has anyone actually sent you an email that you know off? (are you expecting a email?)

What did you put lol.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3