Issues with VMware vSphere monitoring

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Arroryn, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hello good folk. Trying here, not sure how far I'll get, but it's worth a go.

I have a host managed via vSphere. It has standard alarms configured, so it's trying to detect two power supplies. It only has one. There isn't one faulty one, there simply isn't a redundant one. There is never going to be a redundant one. However, daily, I get an ESXI alert that the PSU is missing.

Without vCenter, which I know to traditionally use to tailor ESXI alarms, how can I remove the alert for this second (non-existent) PSU?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

So a couple of silly questions for you.

1. Is this a whitebox server or something off the HCL?
    2. If it's from the HCL (Hardware Compatibility List) did you build the server with the vendor's specific build disk or is it a GA build?
    3. If you look at the Health Status (Host, Configuration Tab then Host Status) do you see that it thinks that there should be two PSU's? Unless of course you have to look at Host\Hardware Status in which case it could well be a branded server build.

I have 3 white (well, black actually) boxes at home, one of which isn't in the cluster and as such isn't managed by vCenter but because mine are generic there are no PSU's listed.

Last question at this stage, was the server designed to ever have a second PSU fitted to it, if so you may be able to disable the PSU setting in the BIOS but you may have to investigate that further with the vendor.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

1) It's a HP somethingsomething, G8 so reasonably recent
    2) I didn't build it, but it looks like it's taken the generic vendor build
    3) it does think there should be two PSUs.

The server does have space for a redundant PSU; this is already disabled in the BIOS and HP's iLO stuff does not have an alert for it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

That will be why then, as it's expecting to see a 2nd PSU there it's throwing up the alarm, you really need to find if it is in fact using the vendor build or generic, if it's the vendor build it will have the HP drivers, if it's a generic it will have been from an iso from the VMware site.

I would possibly take a closer look at the iLO and see if there is anywhere else that you may be able to turn off the BIOS but if it's using a HP branded build then you may be out of luck as it's expecting the specific server family to have a 2nd psu fitted and that's why it's throwing up the alarm.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA