Is Vista quicker than XP for you?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Boycie, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Title pretty much says it all really!

I recently installed Vista Business (with Office 2007 and AVG free) and have to say how impressed I am. It seems to function smoothly and quicker than XP ever did on here!

Do you find Vista quicker or slower than XP?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Slower, but that's by design. You can't expect an increase in speed when you move drivers out of the kernel (where they enjoyed fast access), increase visual quality, and add new features.

That said, the speed decrease isn't that drastic (or even noticeable in most cases). Even on my 2.4 GHz box with a gig of RAM, it functioned quite smoothly (with Aero enabled).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I agree with BM on this one, I find that Vista is slower in some cases though, it's not always slower. I used the Ultimate version my self for a few months and on average use like surfing the web, msn, etc. it was fine, but come vmware time and gaming, I found it to be slower for me than XP.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

On boot up and logging-in, Vista is faster than XP (imo), but I guess that's down to async vs sync. The rest of the time I don't really see any different, but then again my PC's and laptop at home are high spec :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I find Vista to be quicker...but then if u have the machine for it then it will be quicker...at the same time u can reduce certain features in Vista if u have a less powerful machine...and u will find it is still quick.

Boot up is a lot quicker (unless u dual boot which adds an extra 30secs). I think my boot up in total is about 15-20secs. Which isnt too bad and thats on the main machine (saying that I havent switched that machine off for nearly 2 weeks now). The gaming machine just flies when I boot that up :biggrin I think that one takes about 10 secs to boot up...lol...

But all in all I have found Vista to be quick. And if I am being totally honest, for me personally, it looks a hell of a lot sweeter then XP ever did. I remember the days of WindowBlinds making XP look like Vista or something similar...now I dont have to worry about that :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Just to add to what's already been stated as I have installed two machines at work with Vista business version one on a dell dual core 2 system and the other on a dell gx280 with 512mb ram.

In total I did not notice a difference in terms of boot up time and running of office 2007 and must say was impressed. So to answer the initial question yes vista is faster but also cpu resource intensive:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  7. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Faster, aero is not switched on though.

Log-on time is much better as well. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I've not tampered with Vista so I'll just take your words for it.

Though, wouldn't it maybe have something to do with being a fresh install of the OS and not just because the actual OS is faster?

Anyhow, my XP boots up from completely off in around 15 seconds I'd say. Maybe less, maybe more..

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

clean installs are always a good idea (in my opinion!) but, it *feels* like Vista is a lot smoother than XP to me. Could well change ! :D

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Vista does does seem slightly more sluggish than XP on a computer running P4 2.4Ghz with a 128 MB video card and 512 MB of RAM. However, that was with Aero and all the new features running on Vista, so my memory was the cause of the slowdown moreso than the OS, I think. I did not do a direct comparison between Vista w/o Aero and XP, which might have yielded better results for Vista.

11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I find it quicker for a lot of things, and slower for a few things too

boot time, log in, application launch all seem faster, network access pre sp1 is slower, as are transfers (very very bad thing) but SP1 beta seems to of fixed most of that
    indexing and searching is way faster it seems
    my games run fine too, but as mentioned by others, my system is anything but 'standard' lol

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  12. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

Vista is slightly slower, but then i have a machine thats no longer top of the game,

overall i have found vista far more stable than XP, I hardly ever manage to crash vista!

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  13. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

As mentioned moving files between a share on a server to the desktop takes ages, also if you need to delete multiple files as well. Apart from that it’s fast!

Roll on SP1! 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Much faster boot up/log in times. Vista feels much smoother than any of my XP boxes. On the whole I'm quite happy with it. However web surfing is a lot slower for some reason which I have not been botherd to look into.

And I love vista chess:D

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  15. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Well in my experience I feel Vista is faster on boot up and log in than XP but that could be down to the fact that my Xp machine is heavily loaded with different applications i usually use. My Vista Ultimate machine is almost untouched only used for email/internet and Itunes.:oops:

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  16. Softix

Softix Bit Poster

I haven't tried Vista yet, my friends has it installed in his computer and it still has some errors and bugs. I'm waiting for a better Vista version is out to buy it. For what I have seen, so far Vista hasn't proved to be better than XP.