Article Is Spelling and Grammar Important?

Discussion in 'Articles, Reviews and Interviews' started by Arroryn, Nov 20, 2008.

1. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

While I agree completely, I must admit my spelling at times is atrocious, so I tend to be more forgiving when it comes to others mistakes ;)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  2. Stuzzle

Stuzzle Byte Poster

I think I should forward this article to every annoying goon on facebook who has statuses like "Natasha Morden doesnt kno what 2do with her day", umm..learn to spell perhaps?!
    Where are peoples standards these days :dry

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Spelling? Yes.

Grammar? No.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

What I love is the people who come up with all sorts of pseudo-abbreviations, such as:

Kewl (cool)
    yew (you)
    etc

As you can see, these actually save you zero time, so my not just type the damn word normally? Its not cool, and it doesnt make you clever. Its a complete waste of effort for no gain. I can understand abbreviations that actually save you keystrokes, but not that.

My little sister used to be really bad at ****ty txtspk when talking to me on msn, I just point blank refused to waste my time interpreting it, and just responded with "eh?" until she typed properly. Shes still not perfect, and uses some abbreviations, but it was bloody ridiculous before.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

What a fantastic thread.

Well done Arroryn!

The word that gets me, and I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, is: 'definitely'. The amount of times I see it spelt incorrectly is unbelievable! (defenitely, defenetely etc)

And (digressing as not written, rather spoken) the thing that really sends me mad is when people say: Febuary. It's February - there is even a popular song with it spoken wrongly that was in the charts in recent years but I can't remember the title "who looked like a girlfriend that I had in *Febuary* of last year" grrrr...then what about the letter: 'H' eh? This should be pronounced almost like 'Aitch', but the amount of people that say 'Haitch'...grrrr :mad

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Ve haff our vays, Doctah Jones...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

as promised

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Ah hav a lavel englund and ma speling os ko! :)

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Thanks Arro, that was a brilliant article.

I do sympathise with people that have spelling difficulties, it's not always laziness or lack of education, it may be one of those things some people do well and others cannot; like singing for example. :)

I have been trying to learn how to spell properly for decades now. For me, spelling is one of the most difficult things to master on the planet. For whatever reason, I am unable to determine (by looking), whether a word is correctly spelled or not. I now know, that regardless of how much time and effort i put into it, spelling will always remain my Achilles heal.

However, i can easily mask this problem by utilising spell checking programs, so thankfully, all is not lost.

Is spelt a word or is it spelled?

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Agreed & reppage given.

I have the odd issue with spelling but my sentence layouts etc is where I need the help.

I agree with Bluerinse people can be bad at something an never get it regardless of how many times they are taught.

It's spelled btw

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Thanks, and thanks :D

12. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

lol thanks, my spellchecker was arguing with me, and not for the first time.

Also, i have been reliably informed, by the powers that be, ('er indoors) Achilles heal, should be spelt heel.

Of course i knew that but didn't/couldn't see my mistake.

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If I had seen that ad, I'd have avoided that employer like the plague. Any company who would be that careless with a job advert could be that careless with the job they're doing... or with me. No thanks.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

And here for fun...

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD