Is my new Mobo broken?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dave_gray2077, Apr 25, 2010.

1. dave_gray2077

dave_gray2077 Bit Poster

The system does not always start up correctly ( the system fans do how ever always start). By this I mean it won’t go into POST. I do not get any error bleeps to indicate a fault at all. Simply a black screen. This fault does appear random as the system will POST and load through the BIOS from time to time. Up till the point where it requests a boot disk as I have new HDD’s.

The motherboard I have has a number of "on board" LED’s that monitor the status of RAM and CPU voltage etc. when the system does not POST they don’t even turn on or activate. Only the system fans come on. The GPU fan spins as well.

The fault does seem to be resolved from time to time simply turning the system on and off at the plug. Although this method of resolution seems random in its effectiveness and ability to resolve the problem.
    Although the fault with the system not even POSTing starts again at random.

When the issue persists I have tried removing parts of the PC such as the RAM, GPU to see if this causes the system to POST but with errors. The system still will not POST with said parts removed. Even doing this just causes the system fans to idle with no Mobo activity such as the on board LED status lights coming on. When the system should attempt a POST and produce Bleeps indicating missing parts.

The only part I can’t remove to see if the system will always post is the CPU of course. But as the system will post some of the time I assume this part cannot be at fault.

I does seem a little strange that the system does not even make it past POST on occasion.

does this sound like a broken mobo. All the Parts of teh PC are still box fresh. They only arrived yeaterday.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA, Fd Degree, BSC (hon).
    WIP: MCDST
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yeah could be a duff motherboard or maybe the PSU, have you tried another, as it is the easiest thing to eliminate?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

As Bluerinse says could be a duff motherboard but it sounds more likely that its a power supply problem. If you have another good power supply use that eliminate the power supply.

If you can get into your BIOS and post the voltages and temperatures and just to add just because lights come on and fans spin does not mean your power supply is ok.

what is the make model and wattage of the psu?

please post your full system specs.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Are you running at the right voltages? I have had in the past what appeared to be a faulty system, turned out that rather than applying to correct memory voltages is was undervolting the ram quite considerably (by about .5 - .8v).

I would also check and make sure that everything is seated correctly (especially the HSF for the CPU) and if that doesn't work go back to basics and remove everything non essential and start from scratch, by that I mean remove all non essential hardware (sound cards, extra disks (dvd drive), memory etc.

Usually an intermittant fault is either down to a dry solder, faulty cable, incorrect voltages or overheating of some sort.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. dave_gray2077

dave_gray2077 Bit Poster

Thanks for the help.

Iv swaped all the ram etc around and reset the BIOS as suggested. The system was overclocked. System now boots and POSTS OK but HDD;s don’t detect during a windows 7 install. So its been sent back to the shop.

Could not test my power supply as the new PC needs 2 3 pin PCI_E connectors and a 6 PIN CPU Power connector. My other PSU’s don’t have this.

Itsa brand new system as well

AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 955 Black Edition 3.20GHz Overclocked to 3.80GHz!
    Asus Crosshair III Formula AMD 790FX (Socket AM3) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
    Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
    Titan Fenrir CPU Cooler CPU Cooler

PSU was Corsair HX 750W ATX Modular SLI Compliant Power Supply :eek:

well annoyed like. But thanks for the pointers in trying to help me solve the issue.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA, Fd Degree, BSC (hon).
    WIP: MCDST
  6. plus2plus

plus2plus New Member

Call a service company to inspect the unit and troubleshoot. There are several things that can cause this and only someone onsite can troubleshoot it.

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You do realize that the people who frequent this forum are people who work for and, in some cases, manage service companies, don't you?

Plus, the notion that you HAVE to be onsite to troubleshoot computer problems is absolute nonsense.

Last edited: May 5, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

the corsair has a split pin power plug (the one that goes by the cpu) it generally comes as an 8 pin but you just unlock the 8 pin bit to reveal 6 pins (it has this in photographs in the instruction book).It can also be split into 4 too.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?