Is MCP the right 1st step?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Donovan21, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Donovan21

Donovan21 New Member

As per my last post I mentioned that I am interesting perusing MCSA than MCSE work my way up the IT ladder but was advised that home study is my best option as paying thousands of pounds to a company who will still provide me with home study material besides their online support. (Rip-off)

After much considering and reading reviews and others 1st time experiences the same phase came up. “Get you foot in the door first”. Many suggested that one should consider getting you’re A+ 602 and 601 after that N+ N10-003 and apply for a role that require these qualifications.

I have basic computer experience, working in an office doing boring administration work so I THEREFORE HAVE NO IT EXPERIENCE.

1-Is above certifications a good 1st step even if one has no experience?

2-If so is the A+ and N+ by Michael Meyers a good investment or start to study from home.(What exam preps can I use OR what hands on experience or workshops is there)

3-Can anyone recommend and other study material maybe for total beginners (Computer Fundamentals) to get your 1st IT certification A-Z.

4-Would completing the A+ and N+ make me a MCP?

5-If not what other skills would I need to become a MCP?

6_WILL THIS SECURE ME MY 1ST IT JOB.

OR
    Should I study including A+ AND N+ towards MCDSP with 272-271 to secure my 1st job?

I figured that from here I would be able to answer my one questions and know which route/path. I’m I wrong or right or have I at least got an Idea. If not could anyone advice me of the A-Z’s required for total beginners.

Anyone reading this may want to check out this link which gave me a slight indication of what I would like to do in IT ,HENCE ALL MY QUESTIONS AND CONFUSION ABOVE

http://tcc.comptia.org/si_new.aspx

Thanks in advance

Donovan21

2. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

Hi Donovan21

I'm currently studying for the A+ exam using the Mike Myers all in one guide, I'd recommend it if you have no hardware experience like me, I've learned a lot from it. Its definately worth the money.

Get yourself that and a old PC to take apart, shouldn't cost you more than £100 for all of that.

I'd imagine its how most people start their certifications on here. :D

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  3. postal postie

postal postie Nibble Poster

i studies for an MCp with comput teach and found the strucutre that they give me much better than just studying at home. also they can give me extra projects to program which helped me to get a more rounded understanding of what i was doing. otherwise i would have just had theory knowledge and less practical knowledge than i actually got if i just studies on my own at home

4. ajs1976

ajs1976 Byte Poster

4. Completing the A+ and Net+ will not get you the MCP cert. MCP stands for Microsoft Certified Professional. The A+ and Net+ are not Microsoft exams. When you complete 1 Microsoft exam you will earn the MCP. Passing either the 271 or 272 exams will give you the MCP.

Certifications: MCSE, CCEA, Sec+, L+, N+
    WIP: 2008, CAG, or CCENT (not sure)
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

No qualification or cert can gaurantee you a job, if someone has experience and no qualifications or certs then they are more likley to be picked for a job rather than the person with the qualifications.

But if you're going for a job and have certs, no experience and every other person going for the job don't have certs and no experience then you're going to stand out to the employer.

If you want to be in support do they A+ then N+

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. dominoe

dominoe Nibble Poster

I think the A+ and N+ also help you understand the bigger picture as well, so their worth doing if nothing else but to help you learn about the field in general.
    The A+ is such a broad ranging cert and using mike meyers all in one its great to get you into IT

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MTA
  7. Donovan21

Donovan21 New Member

thanks guys. much appreciated

Keep up the good work