Is it worthwhile taking the A+ exams?

Discussion in 'A+' started by hibs1875, Apr 4, 2008.

1. hibs1875

hibs1875 New Member

Hi folks. A while back I was enquiring about the A+ course. I have now started the course and I am currently about halfway through it. I am doing the course for free at a local college and i'm enjoying it very much. Before I started it I didn't know what a mouse was now I have built my own PC. Anyway, I was reading up on the A+ and was reading a thread on a forum that someone thought that taking the exam was a waste of time and money. He basically said that for almost every I.T job advertised hardly any of them asked the A+ (and N+). So, is it worthwhile me paying the £150 asking fee to take the exams..? I have learned a great deal on the actual course but is it worth me paying £150 just to have something extra on my C.V? Even more so that in September I am taking an H.N.D at the same college in 'Technical Studies'

Your opinions and views would be much appricated.

Scott.

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If you have gone to the effort of attending the course then it would seem silly not to take the exam in order to 'prove it'.

And there *are* employers out there who know what A+ is!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It's certainly worthwhile taking the A+ exams! Why wouldn't you?

Who do you think an employer would more likely hire: someone who took a class, but didn't have the motivation to take the exam... or someone who took the exam and passed it, thereby proving that they actually knew the information?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Both would be a condition of employment if you worked for me (rural PC biz) and you'd get them within six months or I'd show you the door. My customers like knowing their machines are being worked on by an industry certified technician rather than some hobbyist who may or may not have a clue. My insurance company that provides my liability insurance adjusted my rate downwards based on my certifications. To keep that low rate I require certified technicians. My agreement with the insurer prohibits me from allowing non-certified techs to work on customer equipment unless I am present and supervising them.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yes you should take them, the exams are not £150 each you pay £110 + vat thats about £236 for both but you can buy vouchers from gracetechsolutions.com for £107 each (just make sure you buy the international vouchers). There is no point in studying for an exam an not doing the exam.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Like the previous posts have said, why waste the effort? You’ve already prepared for the material, so you might as well get the certifications to prove it. Besides, it pads the resume with industry recognized credentials. :)