1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is An A+ Right For Me?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Mr_Fishbulb, May 4, 2006.

1. Mr_Fishbulb

Mr_Fishbulb Nibble Poster

Hi All,

First post in here and was looking for an indication as to whether the A+ is right for me.

Here's my low-down - Graduated Uni in 2001 with 2:1 in Computing. Worked for a large company doing a Windows 95 -> 2000 rollout for about 4 months. Moved onto supporting and managing a database, plus other admin tasks such as Active Directory.

Then in 2004 I went travelling for 21 months and came back at the end of 2005. Now I'm looking to get back into IT. Herein lies the problem - my last IT role finished in 2004 so on my CV it shows that I haven't done anything IT related since then.

I've applied for hundreds of jobs and only had 2 interviews. So I was looking for something to give me the edge. I'm looking to get into Helpdesk/Desktop Support.

Do you think the A+ is the right way to go?

Cheers

Certifications: Naff All
    WIP: A+
  2. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Your circumstances would suggest that an A+ certification is a move in the right direction.Many posts here suggest that employers are looking at A+ as a minimum certification for helpdesk roles.

Given your background in computing I would suggest the A+ followed by N+ are a logical path to take.

Certifications: A+ Network+
  3. Mr_Fishbulb

Cheers No Mates :)

I've got an Amazon voucher burning a hole in my email account so I think I'll get a copy of Michael Meyers' book.

4. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Yep.

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  5. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Out of interest, do you put the fact you went travelling on your CV?

1. It looks better than a gap which might suggest you were either unemployed or in prison.

and 2. I did much the same thing and and really talk it up on my CV - "learnt a tolerance for other cultures, learnt to be very adaptable" - that kind of thing, I find potential employers lap that kind of thing up. In fact it played a big part in me getting my last two jobs. That, and the fact I was going to the effort of doing certs so go for the A+ as well :thumbleft.

Good luck.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Yes, the A+ would be good... Best of luck :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. Mr_Fishbulb

Yeah the travelling stuff is on there and bigged-up. Guess I haven't had many open-minded people look at my CV.

Hopefully my A+ book from amazon will come soon so I'll have something else to put on there.