Is a franking machine 'IT'?

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by juice142, Aug 23, 2007.

?

Is a franking machine 'IT'

1. Absoflippinlutely, get out there and sort it!

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. Not blinkin' likely, you'll be fixing the fridge next.

36 vote(s)
    76.6%
  3. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, who knows (or cares)?

9 vote(s)
    19.1%
  1. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Fer frank's sake, desist! :biggrin

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  2. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

on the other hand

dont you just like to be the 'smartest' in the building/on the floor?
    the one that EVERY GIRL asks when she's in trouble?

i do :)

on and yes - my father is an electrician - I can fix the kettle :)

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

nah its not IT but i have done my fair share of strange requests, what does get my goat is when someone thinks because i'm in the IT dept i can speed type for Britain and asks me to type up there franking report, I just give them the :blink and then explain a little :dry and make them go :oops:

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is there a question about this in the new A+ exam? :biggrin

One installation I was doing a while back involved a company relocating to a new office. No big deal.

They decide to fit a new alarm system (think the insurance needed it) but they couldn’t get the thing to work. A few minutes later they come into the room where I was putting in a new rack and asked me to have a look.

I turned to my boss and he said ‘Sure’, I said ‘WTF?’ and then I ended up setting up the alarm for them. :rolleyes:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. stutheview

stutheview Byte Poster

No I don't think it's IT either, but when you're in a small company nearly everything that someone can't do and has got wires is IT.

I've done the franking machine, photocopier, telephone, tv, video recorder, mobile. Fortunately not the microwave or the kettle, but there's still time!! :rolleyes:

Stu

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 70-270 70-290
    WIP: 70-291
  6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Classic!!

I had a similiar experience, when one of the switches in the main hub caught fire after a cleaner decided to clean the area with soap and water. Why he did this was unknown because on the walls hung signs about danger eletrical equipment and fire hazzard signs:p :biggrin

Anyway the fire alarm went off and then the network crashed and all you could smell was toxic fumes. Then some women came up to me and point at the hub and said it's on fire.

Really?? how can tell it's on fire?? Is it because of the smoke or the fire alarm going off? (I thought sarcastically) I told her that the network is down and PC might not work. At this point most sensiable people would vacated the building, but not this women, she stood there looking at it before telling me her email wasn't working! Could i have a look at her PC :ohmy

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You mean... "no I can NOT fix your franking kettle" and "I LOOKED LIKE A FRANKING FIREMAN"? :D

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

What's the make of the franking machine?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

That's were you made your critical mistake AJ. We dropped the C like a hot potato when me & Ken named our dept. We also refuse to support anyone who calls us ICT. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

So what happens if you are called ITC? :twisted:

Edit: Oh dear my brain doesn't seem to be in gear as usual :D

11. phatboy

phatboy Nibble Poster

the 2 favourite I have recieved on our helpdesk is
    -there is a pigeon stuck under the net, please let it out
    -the wheel on my filing trolley is squeking, can i have some WD40

these always seem to come from the filing clerks.....!!!

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CCA 5.0, MCP 70-290 70-270 70-431
    WIP: CCNP R&S, CCNA Wireless
  12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Surprised I didn't reply to this, I remember seeing the initial post and knowing exactly what I was going to say, but no posts from me here.. weird!

It depends if the franking machine is included in IT department responsibilities, if it is, then of course it is your job
    lets be frank, a franking machine is generally an analogue modem with a built in print head! nothing overly clever, and nothing outside the realms of IT really

As for the above post OMG I do hope you emptied magenta toner all over them!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  13. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

You could ask them to check if the ethernet cable was still plugged into its backside :twisted: