is 11,500 to low for first job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by buy_my_cookies, Jul 4, 2008.

1. somabc

somabc Bit Poster

ha ha, true!

The only questions you have to ask are does it cover my outgoings, ie do I earn enough to pay rent, food etc. Are there any other jobs available with more money? If not then take the job, you could certainly leave after 6 months to a year. Start applying for other jobs and if the post is the same just be honest with them and say you want more money.

If you were young and staying at home with pretty much no bills to pay, no car to run etc then it would be certainly be alright.

£11k is very low tbh, I would expect £15k+ for an IT role in a school. They are chancing their arm and they know it. I would not expect them to be surprised if you leave early.

If you were a tech under a NM I would expect £15-20k, a NM in a large school should make £20-30k

I took a post in a School to gain experience and left after 6 months, (I was not impressed at the split between teachers and 'support staff' and their IT budget was actually 0, if something broke I couldn't replace it, I knew I was in trouble when they handed me a box of capacitors and asked me to solder them onto broken motherboards) Once I told them about the new job I had been offered they knew I could not turn it down. Personally I feel a School is a better place to pick up IT experience than 1st line helpdesk. You will actually be working on PCs and Servers etc covering a wide range of equipment.

I see you are in Cambridge area, you could apply for a 2nd line post in London after, you would probably make up to £30k if you are lucky (and the economy holds out)

Certifications: BSc MBCS
    WIP: MSc, PRINCE2, ITIL
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If I was not yet in IT, and I wanted to be, I'd take it. Even if it meant living on rice and beans for a year... after a year, I'd be in a MUCH stronger position. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!