Ipod Nano

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neall, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Hello all.

I just had someone on the phone who was given an Ipod Nano for their xmas and they cant get it to work.

They have Mac OS 8.5 but not sure about the hardware side of things.
    Now im not the best with macs, but the minimum spec for the ipod is Mac OS X or later.

Is there anyway to get this working with;

A. The current version of OS.

B. Be able to upgrade this mac to OS X.

I dont think there is much chance of either, but does anyone have any ideas of what could be done to solve this?

Cheers

Neall

WIP: A+
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hi Neall

I think NoelG may be your best for this one - but do you have any further details than 'does not work'? Is the unit powering up? Is it not being recognised on the PC?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Sorry, never thought. I 'think' it's down to be being a compatibility problem. Even so, the fact that its below the minimum spec will no doubt cause problems anyways.

Cheers

Neall

4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Neall...since I work for Apple...the only way the iPod Nano will work is if they buy a whole new Mac...upgrading to just OS X wont help cos a) the hardware side of machine is limited to what can be upgraded (memory or hard drive!!) b) if they wanted to upgrade to OS X they need to upgrade to 9.2.2 first but even if they did that OS X wont support the hardware they have...so the only option is to buy a new Mac or PC...what u have to remember is iPod Nano's only run on USB 2.0 and I am guessing the old Mac has USB 1.1 if it does have USB ports at all...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

seems a little odd apple not supporting thier own legacy OS when you can get iTunes for windows

and what reason does the nano require USB2? the whole point of USB is they are backward compatible, there were no current increases for power over USB in the 2 spec (if memory serves), so what would the data transfer speed have to do with compatibility? Just my thoughts

Does this person have a windows PC as well mate? that might be their best bet

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Phoenix you cant even run iTunes on Win 98/ME either...so the same rule applies for Windows (but if anyone has Win 98/ME please tell me if u do have iTunes and it works!!). and the reason it needs USB 2.0 as opposed to just 1.1? well even tho you can use 1.1 the transferring of music from computer to iPod will be so much slower and u know what some people are like...not the best with patience. Yes you can use 1.1 but 2.0 is recommended.

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Maybe you should be a little more accurate with your information NoelG (meant in a positive way, btw). You are known on CF as an Apple Support guy (and rightly so), so it doesn't exactly make you look good (or help people asking about Apple products) is you make blanket statements, then contradict yourself less than 24 hours later.

HTH :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I nearly bought the i pod nan before christmas, except for the fact that i didnt realise you had to pay extra for the charger, how bad is that. The rep at dixons told me that you could charge it via the usb cable but what a ball ache that would be . And since then ive been told that they still havent sorted out the battery problem. Feel free to correct me here

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Yes Jak I know what you mean...but when Neall said its running Mac OS 8.5 (kinda like Windows 3.11) I was right in saying that anyway cos some of the older macs came with USB 1.1 and others didnt so in this case we dont know if it did but at the same time I am guessing it did otherwise Neall wouldnt asking about the problem. As I said it can be used on 1.1 but given the OS of the Mac and no doubt the rest of the hardware its like putting a ferrari engine inside a ford cortina!!

zxspectrum I cant say I blame u mate even I think its harsh you have to buy the charger seperate to the iPod but I wouldnt listen to the goofs at Dixons saying that charging thru the USB will be a pain...people do it all the time and I have had no one complain about charging their iPod thru the USB port! As for the battery problem, havent heard much about it and I dont think there was a battery problem with the Nano's only the whole screen saga (scratches and all that!!) but nothing about battery mate...again the goofs at Dixons sure know their stuff!!

10. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

That's what i figured, thought i'd check anyways.

I think its absurd that apple bring out new products that only work with new hardware. You would think it would be more profitable to make it compatible with older hardware as well.

Heh, and people complain about microsoft!?

Cheers for the help folks.

Neall

11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Noel bear in mind OS 8.5 was released at the end of October 1998, that was after windows 98, supported USB and other technologies that 98 didnt until 98SE, so please research a little before you make your statements mate

good think i never have to call apple support :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Thanks for that Phoenix but I have only been working for Apple since April this year...and have only been trained on Mac OS X 10.3.9 to the latest version which is 10.4.3. But hey as the saying goes you learn something new everyday...and I wouldnt expect u to call Apple support anyway since your about the only person here I know who has more knowledge about IT than most of us...and lets not forget back in 1998 there were still people using Windows 3.11 let alone Windows 95...so yeah maybe I didnt do my research properly or none at all but since I dont support 8.5 this is the best I can offer....