ipconfig and nslookup

Discussion in 'Networks' started by piccadilly, Jun 15, 2009.

1. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

Is there a way you can use ipconfig to find an ip address of another PC on a network?

I read that nslookup is a UNIX command, but I used it in XP to find a IP Address of another PC on a network, e.g. nslookup <machine name>

Thanks,

2. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

if you know the name of the machine why not use ping -a which will resolve the DNS name to an IP address.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

Ah course. Though nslookup and ping do different things it still shows the info I need.

Are there other ways?

4. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

If you know the computers name just ping it

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. cpickering

cpickering Bit Poster

As stated earlier, and if you use DNS/WINS you can run ping -a to get the IP of the PC.. Or you could walk up to the PC, smack the operator, nick it for 2 seconds and run ipconfig to get the IP..

Try this application, it'll scan your network for IP's and give you NetBIOS names too and DNS names :) http://tinyurl.com/ipscan

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Unfortunately, that link gets knocked down by my AV scanner.

I typically recommend Angry IP Scanner. Great little tool.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Unless you have McAfee, which blocks it as an 'Unwanted program' by default :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  9. cpickering

cpickering Bit Poster

Its the same tool, just a link to another direct download of it, thats all.. I'll amend my TinyURL :)