iPad 2 for Xmas

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by steve_p1981, Dec 26, 2011.

1. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

Got an iPad for Xmas and its the best thing ever! I've decided to give my laptop to my brother, so I went to pc world to buy a wireless network card as I've had to move my pc into another room and it currently doesn't support wifi and the guy there tried selling me one that was a USB one and told me that I can't use a pic card to join my home network but could use it only to go on the Internet. I told him what was wrong with what he told me and he just left me to it. I won't be buying from there any more (always preffed) maplins any way. Hope you all had a happy Xmas!

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Me too.
    PC going in the bin...
    :biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Congrats to you both:) as the ipad is a lovely and useful gadget to own as I have the ipad version one and have loaded it with cbt videos and ebooks. I catch up with some of my studying when commuting to and from work.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

I find the iPad genuinely useful, far more than I thought I would.

There's an app from Wyse called 'PocketCloud', which allows you to establish RDP sessions, which is surprisingly functional - definitely worth a look!

5. Wireless_Snake

Wireless_Snake Nibble Poster

I got an iPad at Christmas havnt put it down much since I've got it. It was one of those gadgets I didn't want to buy but once I have it I'll use it. I've always been impressed with the iPhone : )

Any more recommended apps?

Certifications: BSc (Hons) Computer Network Tech, CCNA, CCAI
    WIP: CCNP, VCP 5, SCP
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to the club as you'd find goodreader a brilliant app as it lets you read pdf and word docs on the ipad. On the other hand to watch videos just convert you videos to mp4 and use the video player that comes with the ipad as it's brilliant.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  7. Wireless_Snake

I'm currently running the AVplayerHD and the kindle app for reading and watching videos.

8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Do you have to convert your videos first or does the AVplayerHD play any videos thrown at it? Yeah! go the kindle app and it's brilliant:)

9. Wireless_Snake

I havnt had to convert anything yet seems to play a good range of file formats. Very happy with it.

10. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

About a week before Christmas I sold my MacBook Pro and replaced it with an iPad 2, which I felt would suit my future needs better than a fully functional laptop.

I'm moving into the CISCO arena so processing power isn't an important factor to me anymore. I wanted good battery life for long study sessions (video, audio, ssh sessions and note-taking), a crisp clear screen, and ultra-portability.

I also picked up a stand (with built-in speakers), a stylus for handwritten notes, and a Bluetooth keyboard for long typing sessions.

So far it's working out great (I'm going to be posting about it more on my blog so I'll be sure to add the link when it's done).

11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Good to hear as I also have the AVplayerHD but have been converting my videos to mp4 then using the built in video player that shipped with the ipad. Anyways am talking about the first generation ipad so might be different for the ipad 2.

Thanks for sharing anyway and enjoy your new useful gadget:)