Interview Nerves..

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Naive, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

Hi again guys :)

I made you aware of a telephone interview I had recently, and suffice to say it went well. I have an interview with the Helpdesk Team Leader and the Operations Director of a small software company. (This was through reed.co.uk by the way)
    The thing is, he mentioned that I would be given full product training and that i would be dealing with support issues such as firewalls, network troubleshooting and asked "Does this sound good?", to which I obviously replied "Yep! sounds good". Now I know I'll come across fine in the interview, as I'm confident and have a fairly extensive knowledge of communication skills. The thing that worries me is that I have only just begun self studying and I'm worried that I'm not going to be able to answer questions about firewalls, network troubleshootings etc as I haven't covered these yet!

The interview is on Friday at 9am and the agency have informed me that only 2 other candidates passed screening / telephone interview. I'm in two minds what to do :( On one hand I'm thinking I could just turn up to the interview and hope that they understand that I'm in the process / willing to learn and push my customer service experience, know that I have a 33.33% chance of getting the job. On the other hand I'm thinking to just forget the interview, as I won't be competent the job in hand.

Any advice appreciated :cry:

WIP: MCDST
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Your next paragrahp at the bottom of the post has answered your question:), just go in and show interest and enthusiasm and let them know you're willing to learn and can be very customer oriented.

Best wishes and go give it your best shot:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

They obviously think you're one of the three best candidates for the position... :) And the worst they can do is say no - they can't take your birthday away. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

Thanks, ok I'll go for it then and hope I blow them away at the interview, It's one hell of a commute to get their but I'd walk barefoot across glass to get this job. I think maybe I'm just having jitters, and I need to calm down.
    I think I'm going to have a cup of coffee and research as much as I possibly can about the company, what they're about etc and use personality and willingness to learn as ammo

I'll update this post to inform on how the interview went, and further wether or not I actually get the job, as I think this would help a lot of people in my position starting out.

Cheers again B)

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Relax. If you don't get it, it wasn't meant to be... they likely just found someone more suitable for the job. Not a knock against you at all. Simply do the best you can... and if you're the best candidate for the job, they'll scoop you right up!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I agree with the advice given. Good luck and just do your best! you have nothing to lose.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

yeah good luck mate, get back and to us it will be interesting to see how get on. Just be honest if you dont know what the hell the answers are dont try in bull it just press that your keen to learn and will, in your words, walk on hot coals for the job!!

Certifications: N+, 270.
    WIP: 291 then 284 for the MCSA.. ITIL...
  8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

So how far would you have to travel if you got the job?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It's been already said, but if offered, you should almost always accept an interview. You don't know if the other two candidates are any more knowledgeable than you are. Go in, do your best, and see what happens. Good luck.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses and I'm sure if you're confident and happy during the interview process it will be fine.

If you get it then great! If you don't there are plenty more jobs out there.

Put it this way... you are far less likely to get the job if you don't turn up to the interview eh? You have nothing to lose by going.

Chin up, believe you can do it and then get stuck in! :D

Best of luck matey.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  11. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

You wouldn't have been put forward to the job if they didn't think you were a suitable candidate. The interview in itself will also be good experience even if you don't get the job.

12. dominoe

dominoe Nibble Poster

All the best with the interview,I would deffinatly try to push your customer facing skills also if its first line how you handle things under pressure ie angry customers (stay clam,dont match customers tone etc....)..

Try and brush up on the more basic things ie Ping,Ipconfig, general problem solving perhaps some examples of what you have done..I know the interviews Ive had have all had a few technical questions ranging from how to find the IP address of a machine to what DHCP ment.

Try and research the company before you go to interview and possibly what they might ask you and what you want to ask them. example they might ask you how you cope with angry customers or perhaps what your weakness's are. Generally prepare before you go in to the interview and it should give you the best possible chance of getting the job.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MTA
  13. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I agree with what's been said (and the provided reasons), and that you should go for the interview. The other reasons for going to the interview are:

- Interview experience (yeah it exists, and it can help)
    - Understand the role better
    - If you don't get it (or if you) understand why. Were you lacking something that you can add for your next attempt, was it just a 'feel' that another candidate was the way to go
    - etc...

Best of luck...

14. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

...Unless you are no longer interested in the position, obviously.

Good luck with the interview. Just remember to be honest and up-front about what you are and are not capable of. They will do the rest.

And never underestimate the power of being under-qualified/experienced for a job. After all, they can pay you less than someone who has it all. If they think you are capable of picking it up fast enough to suit them, then they make themselves a bargain. its win-win for both parties.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  15. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I would say that I would never recommend going to an interview solely for the purpose of interview practice. If you know you arent going to accept the job, even if they offer you it, dont waste yours and their time.

If they say no, ask them for some feedback on how they thought your interview went, and why they decided on someone else. Approach it in a constructive manner. Dont get sullen and accusatory. If you take it well, they may invite you back when they get another position.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  16. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

Hrm, 15miles roughly mate.

I've done exactly that, become accustomed with Ping, Ipconfig and general troubleshooting liek p/word resets etc. States on the spec that there are no technical tests but I've brushed up on one or two things for peace of mind really. I'm definitely going to be pushing the customer card, I think the reason they pushed me forward in the first place was because I stated that I've had 7years customer/telephony experience. Plus I work for the Child Support Agency on the sensitive team dealing with 'very destressed' (sometimes suicidal) calls from high profile clients, as I'm sure you can imagine :rolleyes:
    Thanks for the pointers mate.

I will definitely enquire about the 3rd point mentioned above, cheers.
    Thanks, you're absolutely right, I think a lot of this is because I've got a chance to enter the I.T field and I don't want to mess it up! I'm overthinking, right now I feel very prepared for the interview. Just going to brush up on the employers website a little more in depth on their product and I'll get a nice sleep.

It's tomorrow at 9am so I shall let you all know how I get on :biggrin

17. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

15 miles isn't one hell of a commute.

18. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

30miles there and back, and I don't drive :twisted:

19. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I've been on public transport for the past month and my commute was 40 miles a day which included 6 miles a day walking :wink:

20. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

Yikes! I need to cut down on take-outs and do a bit of running then. :oops: