interview nerve problems

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by mallet, Dec 14, 2009.

1. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

Just got a call today for a support techy interview. but the role will play on mostly 1st line support. Iam just having interview problems.
    I did take a look at the great advice on the sticky topic here:
    http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread3346.html

but nothing to cover my nerves, which have been racking around from the last interview I got which was best described from the interviewee's as being shot. He didnt really say that but kept mentioning it to me :(
    It feels bad as it keeps me from not focusing properly and it interrupts my speech some times. I dont recall ever having this issue before in my last interviews many years ago.
    they also mentioned the interview will last about an hour that covers: CV walk through, and technical test

Interview is tomorrow. there wasnt any budge on what time slot or day I can get. Any advise would be handy.

-Mallet

Certifications: MCP
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

It's not always easy to give advice if it's your nerves to be honest... there are many tips and tricks that I am sure you heard of, but in reality it's all in your head, only you can calm it down... I was told that I interview really well, by couple of employers..

I go in with a thought of well if I don't get it then, I'll look for something else, like a nothing to lose attitude but at the same time give it my best and hope to do well. Interviewers know that candidates are going to be nervous, it's normal, you're not the only one who's nervous, but if you let it effect you too much, it will hurt you. Although I can say things like don't think about it you'll do fine, it's not really going to help you much because that's something within you. Fortunately you have experienced interviews in the past and have an idea of what it's like.

All I can say is I wish you the best and in all honestly, if you calm yourself down before the interview, you'll be just fine.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

We all change as we grow and develop, so yes, you can develop nerves about things that didn't previously bother you. Most of us consider interviews and exams as being something we get used to when starting out and then we forget about them.

I get nervous prior to an interview, but once they're underway I'm OK.
    At the end of the day, you're talking about yourself for an hour - so you're pretty much the subject expert there. You also need to remember that the interviewer may well be as nervous as you are. I find it a lot easier to be interviewed than to interview others.

You can do a few things to help yourself.

- Find out where you're going and where you can park. Go there before hand if you can. That way you don't have to worry about getting lost and you know how long the journey takes.

- Decide what to wear the night before and get it ready. Make sure your shoes are clean. Have a shave. These are all things you won't have to do in the morning.

- Make sure you take a copy of your CV. You may have to fill out some forms and it's really embarassing when you can't remember when you went to school.

- DON'T GET P1SSED the night before. It may help to steady your nerves then, but you'll be paying for it the next day.

- Try not to skip breakfast. If you're like me, you'll be throwing up big time and a bag of shaking nerves, but try to eat a biscuit. Whatever. There's nothing more appealing in an interview than a growling tummy.

- Make it easy on yourself and the interviewer by talking. Don't prattle on forever, but this is your chance to tell them about you - even if they don't ask. Then they don't need to think of loads of questions to ask you, which also means that they can't ask you something you can't answer.

- There are some pretty good off the shelf herbal remedies for nerves. Use these by all means but try them out first in case they don't agree with you.

- Be yourself. Be honest. That way you're in the winning corner - you don't have to pretend or make things up.

Above all, just remember, IT DOESN'T MATTER.
    You're going for an interview. Sure, it may be nice to get the job - but you're not on trial for war crimes.
    If you don't get the job it's not necessarily a reflection on you, there may just have been someone else there who had something you didn't.

No one but you will ever know how many jobs you've applied for, or how many times you've been turned away - so treat each interview as a new page.

Good luck.

:biggrin

Oh, and I forgot to mention.
    Be polite and friendly.
    These are the people that you may end up working with.
    So if you can show that you're a nice guy it will really help. And I'm sure you are a nice guy, so that shouldn't be anything to worry about either.

And if your nerves distract your train of thought or make you forget what you were saying, pretend to be thinking.
    Interviewers like people who consider their answers.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
    Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

6. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

Thanks very much prof, jonny. really appreciate your time :)
    Thoses pieces of information has put my mind at rest a bit. I will give it my all tomorrow.
    I will let you know what happens tomorrow :thumbleft

-Mallet

7. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Exactly!!

and if I might add one more thing, research the company, nothing like knowing zero about the gaff you are applying to work for.

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  8. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

Lots of Eye Contact :D but don't look too much like this smiley :eek:

Glance away occasionally so your not staring at him the whole entire time, SHAKE THERE HAND upon entering the room and meeting your interviewer!

WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  9. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

To be honest, go in there like someone they would want to work with. You can have all the qualifications in the world, all the experience in the world, and the rest, but how many managers are going to want to sit across the office from the dullest, most antisocial, unfunny douchebag on the face of the earth.

If you get threw the CV phase, they clearly think your qualified enough, if you get through the technical part (or your confident you did) then you ARE qualified enough and when your sat in the office with 5 other people who the HR thought were qualified enough, have done the test and for all you know, ARE qualified enough, and are now about to go into an interview to be eyed up like ****ing meat. Then you need to be your self, and be that person everyone sat there wants around them. Which means being your self, being friendly, and being open. Not uptight, sweaty, stuttering, simple and boring.

Make conversation as you walk to and from the interview room, ask them about their weekend, then tell them how yours got washed out by the weather to make them laugh. and then just be completely honest.

Sorted :)

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  10. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

just got back from the interview this morning. It seem liked everything went good. I passed the written test. I got 15 out of 25. Which they said was more then good.
    I thought the interview stage went well then expected. The guy was a nice chap and did threw a few techy questions and I answered smoothly. I did control my nerves better then the interview I did last week, I rarely even spluttered. half an hour in the room seems to fly away so quickly.
    he did A CV walkthrough which was straight forward. no probs there.

Unfortunately, got a call just this afternoon saying I didnt get the job. Because the job had frequent site visits, they didnt think I will cope well. they also told me that I will be better suited to a junior role. I am not sure what they meant by that as I have around 2 years experience from 1st line support.

Even though I feel bad about not getting the job, I feel so much better in terms of confidence on going to another interview. thanks guys :)

-Mallet

11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It's all good experience - that's the main thing.

Jobs that involve site visits are tough, because you are effectively acting as a representative of the company so you need a mixture of tech skills and used-car-salesman smooth.

:biggrin

12. KashMiester

KashMiester New Member

How did the interview go mate?
    Any of the advice on here help?

I say this as i've just signed up to this site - could prove to be helpful

Certifications: None
    WIP: None
  13. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

He replied a couple of posts up. :)

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3