1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet Problem through a Wireless Network

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Kopite_21, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster Premium Member

Hi,

I have just been given a Dell Dimension 3000 Desktop Computer to play about with, but I want to hook it up to the Internet but I don't think it has a Wireless Modem. I use the Internet on my Laptop through a Wireless Network that I have.

Am I right in saying I will need to purchase a NIC for the Desktop for it then to connect to the Internet through the Wireless Network?

Regards :blink

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  2. BosonMichael
    Highly Decorated Member Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep, you need a wireless NIC to connect to a wireless network.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Kopite_21

How would I know which one would be compatible for the Desktop that I have just recieved?

4. BosonMichael
    Highly Decorated Member Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If it has USB ports, that solves the compatibility issue... tons of USB wireless NICs out there. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

From what i read there is a wired ethernet port on your machine if you can get a cable to it from a switchport in your network.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  6. Kopite_21

Thanks for the reply guy's. I just wanted to make sure because I am always second guessing myself.