Internet Explorer tabbed browsing

Discussion in 'Software' started by shadowwebs, Jul 25, 2012.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Guys,

I have a question regarding a PC at work, tabbed browsing has been disabled on the machine for Internet Explorer, they are currently using IE7 on this machine... although I will upgrade to 8 once completed.

I cannot re-enable the tabs through IE options as all is greyed out, gpo has been cleared but to no avail, I know there is an entry in the registry to force the tabbed browsing to be enabled, I think I found it through [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TabbedBrowsing]

Is this the correct location, to then set the Enabled data to "1" which should force?

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Is the OS in question set to 'Classic view'? If so, you may need to re-enable a default theme before the tabs return.

Also, I doubt that a reg setting will help if the tabs were disabled via a GPO - You may need to close Internet Explorer and run gpedit.msc. Navigate to User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Explorer -> Force Classical View. Set Force Classical View to "Disable".

There is also a "Turn off Tabbed Browsing" option: Navigate to User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Internet Explorer.

Don't know, but it may help......

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi Shadowwebs,
    Looking at this site, it looks as though that is the correct setting to alter in the registry.

Cheers
    NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA