Interactive White Boards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AJ, Jul 6, 2004.

1. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Ok so those of you that know i work in a school and the kids have now fininshed for the summer. You lot know I'm not one to gloat or but we're here this week and then off for the summer. [Sounds of Andrew trying to hide in a corner] :biggrin

Anyway this week we are installing Interactive Whiteboards in some of the classrooms along with projectors. These whiteboards seem to be on every teachers "wishlist" as a "must-have" teaching aid. Now not being a teacher, I personally think that these things are a complete waste of time and an aweful lot of money. Approx £1500 for the whiteboard, £1000 for the projector, the cost of a PC if the classroom doesn't have one and then our time to install the cabling and setting up.

The school my son is moving to in September was saying that by the end of the school year 2004/05 they would have these interactive whiteboards in every classroom.

My biggest concern is that whilst these aids (because that's all they are) are in the classrooms how will the teachers use them. Yes I can show them how the technology works and how to physically use the whiteboard, but how does it aid the teacher in their classroom.

Have any of you guys come across these whiteboards, have you used them and how do you think they will aid not only teachers teaching mothods but how would it aid the students to learn.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

We're having one of these installed in a meeting room, we'll see what benefits it brings. Probably just another bit of kit for users to raise calls on when they've used permanent marker :)

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. AJ

Done that one.:x

4. r4merlin

r4merlin Nibble Poster

Whilst expensive if used they will be worth the money, I attended a training course where one was used and I have to say it was vital tool for the training allowing the tutor to display what was on his screen at all times in order to help us see what was going on.

If used correctly teachers could have stuff easy to hand making there jobs much easier, they can also swop and change stuff much more quickly without wasting half there time writing.

I think it could be a very effective aid if used correctly.

5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

They are very effective, and we currently have 20+ deployed in my old secondary school in london, I have used them in a training environment too and I think they are wonderful

now if only I could play a Real Time Strategy game on one of them (!)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. AJ

Good points guys. I suppose my real problem is that whilst they are a good thing, and I do mean that. However, I have great misgivings that teachers are getting these tools and not knowing how to use them effectively within their teaching environment. Not the physical usage of them the actual usage of them as a teaching aid.

Anymore comments, I'm still to be convinced.

7. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Hi Nugget

We had one whitebaord in my old school.

What's so good about them is the ability to "engage" the students in what they are learning. The ability to get them to come to the front of the classroom and show the rest of class what they have done.

They also allow the teachers to display and thoroughly explain what they need the students to do on their computers. (Most handy if there each student, or pair has their own PC).

In terms of other lessons or classrooms where there is only one PC and that is for the whiteboard, the main use is allowing the teacher to present "pre-made" materials, or take notes and draw diagrams.

I hear you cry "what about chalk and a blackboard??" the good thing is that you cam save the notes, diagram or explanations you have created and print them out or send it to each student so they have effective notes and materials to learn from. Very handy around exam time.

But proper training is essential to use these features, otherwise they are just used as a "big screen".

Matt

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  8. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

One of my favorite uses that I've seen around our school is in music with the dance ejay software. The teachers have the kids come up one at a time to the board and drag and drop the looped samples into the tracks to form a tune they have all helped create. Its more the younger kids that love this sort of thing and I think its great.

I've also seen them used with a powerpoint presentation of the who wants to be a millionaire game that has maths questions and the kids have to try and reach a million by answering the questions as a group. :biggrin

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

AJ, from what I can see they would have to be trained how to use the properly and effectively. While I can see that it's really worthwhile that the teachers have new technology to help them, the fact is the whiteboards will only be the newest tech toy for them to play with if they aren't trained to use them.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685