Installing the recovery console problem

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by flex22, Feb 14, 2004.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Thought I'd just have a practice at installing the recovery console.

I'm following the instructions in my study guide.

It says put in the 2000 CD, go to run, then type:
    X:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

So I did this replacing the X with D for my cd drive.

But all I get is the winnt32.exe help box.

My guide says that 2000 should ask you if you want to install, by my server isn't asking anything.

Where am I going wrong :?:

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Just quickly flicking thru' the 215 book - do you have mirror set up, Flex ?

Failing that, is boot.ini set to wait at 0 sec before booting the default OS ?

Other than those ideas, perhaps its an issue with VMWare that you might need to look into .... :arrow:

Just some thoughts :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Yeah read something about mirrors not being able to install recovery console this way.
    Thanks for thereminder, I forgot to check.Anyway I didn't have a mirror set up, but this particular machine I have made all kinds of weird disk setups.I've removed all 5 hard drives, see if this makes a difference.

Just starting the machine up now.

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

I'm sure you can install it as an option by just dropping in the CD (from memory). Either by booting to the CD, or thru' Windows - it can be done - dammit, now you've got me thinking .... :(

:D

5. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Oh dear, on a weekend as well :soz Jak :D
    It's still not working.
    I know you can use it from boot, but guess what, that didn't work either.

I pressed "R" and "F10" but nothing happened.

So I left that for now, and decided to install it.
    But that's not working.

Hmmm :!:

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

RIGHT - I'm off to try it for myself :twisted: :!:

<dammit Flex - this "thinking" thing doesn't suit me>

:D

7. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Strange, I just went to a pro machine and installed it, and it installed fine, the machine's just restarting now

My first unsuccessful attemtp was on a server, but it worked this time on a pro machine.I can't see the difference though, as they are installed the same way, so no probs there.
    The server was a DC, but I was logged on as the admin, so again should be no probs.

:scratch

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Well, doesn't THAT tell a story ... :hhhmmm

I also tried to install on my w2k Server (which is a DC) - hence no joy :cry:

Bad news - I don't have a 2k pro machine to use right now.

Good news - I have now wrecked my 2k Server machine enough through "playing", that I've now taken the decision I've waited ages for - tomorrow it's XP Pro time for me :D

Thanks, Flex :thumbleft

9. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

So it isn't that Windows 2000 personally hates me, your actually having a prob with the dc as well.
    Dammit you've taken away my excuse now, this means I'll have to look into why I can't install the recovery console on a DC :D

I vaguely recall something maybe about reading that a dc is different when it comes to this, just don't know what it was.

Will report back when I have found something :salut

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Distant memories suggest that if you want the Recovery Console on a DC, then it has to be chosen at the installation stage for the DC. :scratch

Whatever, tomorrow, I is going back to having my main PC running the OS of choice, as opposed to what the books require :D

Plus, I have aquired some very nice tweaks from the guys at work for XP - so I guess thats my Sunday taken care of 8)

Cheers for the kick up the @ss, Flex (sorry we didn't nail the Console/DC issue :cry: ) Aach, that's what everyone else is here for ....

11. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I recommend XP tips and tricks email from techrepublic.
    Although I'm studying Windows 2000, these bitesize type how to's and nifty commands will help me when I go over to XP pro in my certs.

It also helps coz if I go to a job that requires XP pro experience I can say that I am competent in it, and an expert at Windows 2000.

Found nothing on google about this DC issue, or at other forums.

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

I grudgingly have to admit, that although trained in W2k, that I actually really like XP. :x

At least I'm lucky enough to work in an environment that uses both :D

13. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

5 Hard Drives Flex, How do you manage that

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  14. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

:soz , virtual hard disks I should have said.

From VMWare, choose your virtual amchine, then Edit, Virtual Machine Settings, click Add, choose Virtual Disk, then specify size of disk.

Repeat this procedure for as many disks as you need, then power up your machine, adn the disks will be there.

Not sure about what the maximum is, but I've had 6 disks no probs before.I can create Raid, mirrors and all that stuff.