Installing the Linux OS

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by MickyBobs, Nov 19, 2008.

1. MickyBobs

MickyBobs Nibble Poster

:eek:Hi, im just a little confused about how to install this OS.I've been to a couple sites to download it, but for the life of me, even with my knowledge..i just aint getting it, please help!

I do want it to be small enough to fit on a cd or mp4 etc...i've heard about the Live CD version, but as i say ..i aint got a clue,,,

Reason i want to install it, is because im currently working off of Windows, and my course material is for the Windows OS, but i want to learn Linux also..ok, hope thats clear sorry.

WIP: Hoping to gain
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Hi MickeyBobs,

This is the Linux Installation Guide

Hope that helps.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

First - a 'Live CD' version doesn't actually install anything. It boots and runs from the CD so you can see how things work without having to create space on your PC.

If this is what you want then just download one and burn it to a CD.

If you want to have it installed then you need to create space on the PC. Most PCs ship with no spare space, so you either need to add an extra drive, or repartition the current drive.

Note that if your PC (or laptop) shipped with restore disks rather than a full Windows disk then doing this can cause you problems later on if anything goes wrong.

I'd suggest getting the Live version to see how things go first.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - <cough> - that guide is a little old and doesn't seem to mention Live CDs!

Nor does it make any mention of Ubuntu, which would be the one I'd suggest to start with.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

As a linux user and advocate I was also quite surprised to see that being offered. Maybe useful if you want to install Suse 5.2:tune

Linux can be very confusing to start with. As hbroomhill says start by downloading Ubuntu. Latest version here - Its very user fiendly

and if you need help go here

Enjoy:biggrin

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  6. MickyBobs

MickyBobs Nibble Poster

Ok, so basically i need to partition the drive, but i didnt realy want to do that, i could maybe install it on my old laptop(though its a little bashed up).The oldee is an acer..but it has been partitioned in the past..but it has about 1 n half gig ram.Oh when i say its been partitioned...If im correct, it has XP on the C drive, and Vista on the D.

New territory for me..all this im afraid, but another learning kerve, i suppose.

:eek:

WIP: Hoping to gain
  7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Read harry's post, you can boot and run off of a 'Live CD'.

The downside is you can't save some settings between boots as the CD is read only.

If you are serious about linux then you will want to install it on a harddisk and therefore need a spare partition. Ubuntu will repartition for you as long as there is free space on one of your partitions. Make some space, defrag, possibly run sdelete on the partition. Then just install Ubuntu from CD and follow the instructions, its dead easy these days.

8. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

There are many options here really.

Creating a partiton on your old laptop would be fine.

Or if your current system is nice and meaty download virtualbox and install ubuntu as a VM. Not as hard or scary as it sounds. This way you can break it as many times as you like with out borking your setup

Really though just try the live cd first before thinking about installation

I wouldnt recommend trying Wubi as it caused quite a few problems for me when I tried it. Though it may be better now. If you're unsure of any of the terms used here just google them but really your next move should be to create an account over at ubuntu forums and talk to them.

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I recommend not touching your Windows partition and just using a Live CD for a start. As Harry says, it runs entirely from the CD. Just put the live CD in your CD drive and reboot. Assuming your computer is set to look to the CD first for booting, you'll boot into the Linux environment running on the CD. When you're done, just shut down Linux and reboot into Windows. Couldn't be simpler.

I recommend Ubuntu because it comes as a live CD. When/if you're ready, you can also do an actual install from the same CD. Here are some links:

http://www.livecdlist.com/

Why you want a Linux live CD

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You could download virtual pc and run it from the virtual machine 8) then you would have a virtual partition and wouldn't have to worry about your windows one.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. Steve.L

Steve.L Byte Poster

Hi

All linux variants seem to run really well on Virtualbox which is a free download from Sun. Easy to setup as well.

Steve.L

Certifications: N+, MCP, MCTS, RHCT, VCP4 and 5, RHCSA
    WIP: ccna
  12. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I've never had much luck with getting pretty much any linux os working with virtual pc, and whilst I suppose ubuntu is an option I would prefer to offer opensuse as a better alternative (not quite so brown).

Definately go for the livecd option first though until your sure that linux has a purpose in your life!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  13. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Forget Virtual PC, get VMware player its free, Ubuntu VMware images are available on the net.

VMWare player
    Images

Just found this also for those that want to use player and create VM's :- http://www.easyvmx.com/

14. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I never had any issues putting ubuntu on virtual pc. Never had a problem with vpc what so ever.

I am going to get vmware at some point and do a comparison.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  15. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

The only issue that does arise is default graphic settings for X in some distros because virtual pc cant emulate 24bit graphics , never has done.

I currently use ubuntu live cd (going in menu to change graphics) with a VPC on a when required bases, my main box is in fact FreeBSD but its in storage.

As for Sun's Virtual box its great for desktop VM's.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots