Infrastructure master role (Need a clear explanation)

Discussion in 'Active Directory Exams' started by lifeisshortmove, Jul 3, 2011.

1. lifeisshortmove

lifeisshortmove Bit Poster

Hello,

I still have some trouble with the specific function of the Infrastructure master role

At any time, there can be only one domain controller acting as the infrastructure master in each domain. The infrastructure master is responsible for updating references from objects in its domain to objects in other domains. The infrastructure master compares its data with that of a global catalog. Global catalogs receive regular updates for objects in all domains through replication, so the global catalog data will always be up to date. If the infrastructure master finds data that is out of date, it requests the updated data from a global catalog. The infrastructure master then replicates that updated data to the other domain controllers in the domain.

Those references are GUID, SID, and DN (as stated in MS documentation). But "The infrastructure master is responsible for updating references from objects in its domain to objects in other domains" is vague to me. Can you give me an example or explain it in a simpler way.

Thanks in advance guys,

2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Operations master roles: Active Directory

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. lifeisshortmove

lifeisshortmove Bit Poster

heh...that has the same paragraph. I am asking a specific question, what does this statement "The infrastructure master is responsible for updating references from objects in its domain to objects in other domains" means?

4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Im pretty sure It means a users details, such as its username, password, group membership and so on, are up to date and match up, in different domains.

I think the CBT nuggets for this exam (might be either 290 or 291) did a good explanation on this

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  5. selva

selva New Member

Hi Ill try to explain with an example.
    U know that IM is per domain, lets assume that you have two different domains in a forest.
    U have a user named User1 that was created in domain 1 and you have a group named Group 2 created in domain 2.
    And you have added the User 1 in the group 2 of domain 2, and now you are renaming the User 1 as User 2 or modifying it.
    Think, without IM, in domain 2, the Group 2 will still have user 1 representing the user that was created in domain 1, (update is not cross referenced).
    With IM, since the global catalog is uptodate always, IM checks the update from GC, and it updates it to domain 2, so the user 1 will be updated to user2 in domain 2 as well,