1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

increasing size of c: drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sally, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Sally

Sally Bit Poster

hi, hoping somebody can help me....

I dont even know if this is possible? I have an 80gb hard drive with one partition... hence have c and d drive. currently, the c drive is only 3gb in size. i save 99% of my stuff on my d drive, but even so, the size of my c drive is next to nothing now, and keep getting low memory messages. so i want to increase the size of my c drive, without losing anything and having to re install windows? both drives are NTFS, so thats not a problem. please somebody tell me i can do this?!?!?!? :rolleyes:

WIP: a+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I think you need a third party piece of software to do this. Here's an example:

http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

You can also create a folder on c:. Then go into disk management, create a new partition, mount it as the the folder you just created on C:, and expand C: that way. Then when you install software you can just manually choose to install it in that folder.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

If you keep getting low virtual memory messages you could always move the page file from the C: to the D:

8)

5. Sally

Sally Bit Poster

thank you all for all your suggestions, at least i know i have some hope! but i think i'm either going to have to get the third party software, or start again......... :rolleyes:

WIP: a+