1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Included Simulation Software

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Thomas7918, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Thomas7918

Thomas7918 Bit Poster

A question on simulation software being included, with some of the CompTIA Network+ N10-005 study books.

Are these simulation packages providing a means to further display or clarify a network example being discussed, or are they a means to provide a live environment for a lab.

I have the means to create a pretty decent lab.

Bottom line here, is it worth the extra $ to purchase material with simulation software or would the paper back books and a live lab be the better road.

If the lab is the way to go, then do any of you have a recommendation on which server to load up. I know Linux has lots of unrestricted options and I think I can download some MS platforms with time restriction and maybe a couple of extensions on the trial, however unsure if the trial versions are restricted.

Thank You

Thomas

2. Thomas7918

Thomas7918 Bit Poster

Hum "no reply"

Well considering how Virtual Box has served me well so far, I opted to not spend the extra $ on Network+ material with simulations. I suppose the drawback is the simulations are right in line with the book content and require no learning curve to set up, unlike creating a personal lab with a few windows clients, Windows server with Ubuntu Server and Samba threw in, for good measure.

The lab did require the purchase of two additional nics for bridged mode and a spare router or switch. Thus far the lab is setting up ok, the only thing remaining is to setup SAMBA and I gave up trying to hack my way through the various Ubuntu config files using Vi, so I installed Fluxbox but soon realized it has a learning curve as well. Solution was to install Gnome Basic desktop w/out Unity and SWAT to configure SAMBA. I did pdf a few articles on adding SAMBA to the MS domain server, because it looks like some changes have been made to security settings.I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

Yep Big screen VM on one side and multiple Howto on the other!!