1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Improving wireless performance: USB Vs PCMCIA?

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Lord Deckard, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Been playing around trying the get the best wireless performance between my Netgear DG834GT and WG111T.
    I'm not ready for the pain of resiting the router and running a new phone socket and CAT5 to all the wired PC's so I'm looking at the alternatives, which are;
    > New antenna: I understand the Netgear has an RP-SMA connector, can anyone recommend a good source or any product recommendations?
    > PCMCIA card: Would a PCMCIA card give better performance than my USB adapter? Seen a few WG511GT cards on eBay for around the £20 mark but not much point spending money if it's not going to make a difference!!

Any help gratefully appreciated! And as a small aside, I highly recommend a Sony PSP as a quick way of checking signal strength if you've got one, much easier to carry than a laptop.

Lord Deckard.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Both the PC cards and the USB dongles use patch antennae. These vary enormously - so it may be worth doing some looking for magazine tests.

Adding a separate antenna can be useful, but don't have the lead too long, or all the signal gain could be lost in the cable!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+