I'm confused???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dullage, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

I should know this (being A+ certified and all) but I'm a bit confused with the following...

I'm trying to create a new partition on my hard drive (Vista Premium) so I can load XP (Spent hours building a 2k3 server to find Vista Premium doesn't support domains! :x). I currently have 3 partitions:

EISA Config - Recovery (10gb, Primary) - OS (220.08gb Primary)

and 2.64gb of unallocated space (Ready for the XP partition). Now the disk is set as a Basic Disk but when I right click the unallocated space it only gives me the option to set up a new Simple Volume.

I thought Dynamic Disks used volumes and Basic Disks used Primary and Extended partitions?

I'm probably missing something obvious here, anybody know what I'm doing/interpreting wrong? :oops:

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Not much disk space there mate. Are you just needing a basic OS install?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Yup, I just need XP there to gain knowledge of Domains, AD, etc...

I think my real question is how do I create another Primary Partition, its my understanding that I can have up to 4 Primary partitions?

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I would start again.. install XP first, as it's the older of the two OSs.. format the drive and create a partition that's half the size of the hard drive. Then install Vista, it will recognise a previous version of windows because it's aware that XP exists. create a partition in the unallocated space and install Vista on that. You will then have a stable dual boot platform.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Sparky

Wonder if this is a Vista thing. :hhhmmm

Can you create a simple volume and then assign a drive letter?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  6. Sparky

A much better suggestion :biggrin

7. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

I select 'New Simple Volume' and it creates a Logical Drive?? It is my understanding that logical drives are created in an extended partition, this is all well and good but I need a new Primary Partition??

Sounds like I might have to resort to this, I might just see if I have enough spare parts to build a new machine? :rolleyes:

8. Sparky

This might help mate but Im not 100% sure. Remove the logical drive so it shows up as unallocated.

Start Diskpart:
    Click the start button.
    In the search box type diskpart.exe and press enter.
    Click Continue.
    In Diskpart type the following commands and press enter after each one:
    select disk 0
    create partition primary
    exit

In Disk Management Again:
    Right click on the new partition and click format.
    Select NTFS under file system and click ok.
    Now if you want to access the Windows XP partition from Windows Vista right click on the partition and click "Change Drive Letter and Paths", click add, select a letter and press ok.

Source:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/problem-at-new-simple-volume/page/3

9. postman

postman Byte Poster

You could always use a virtual drive.

WIP: A+
  10. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Sparky you legend :D Great find pal, I did search around Google and this forum a bit but found nothing. I now have another primary partition :)

Now, as I'm going to try and install XP after Vista would it be advisable to use a 3rd part duel boot utility?

EDIT: Rep left Sparky :D

11. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Right, after the trouble getting a Primary Partition with vista I'm now stuck installing Windows!

Every time I boot from installation CD it loads the initial files and then BSOD. I have tried more than one copy of XP Prof and also a copy of 2k Prof, same thing...BSOD??

Has anyone seen this before?

EDIT: I'm pretty sure its a problem with XP/2k not having the drivers for some of my laptops hardware, getting a Boot Device Error? I might just give CPR to one of my old PCs?

12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

it might be that you need to install drivers for the hard drive, if it's an older motherboard with a SATA controller. the driver was supplied on a floppy and needed to be installed at the beginning of the OS install procedure by pressing F6 like you would for SCSI drivers.

13. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Thanks Bluerinse :), I'll have a go at this...

14. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Ok, I'm all sorted and duel booted now. Thanks for the help guys :D

Thought I would retype the problems solved and fixes found to help others with the similar problems:

Scenario: Duel booting Vista and XP (With Vista installed first)

Problem 1 - Creating another primary partition in Vista
    Solution - Credit to Sparky for this find....

Problem 2 - BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) after the initial load of drivers during text mode windows install.
    Solution - Spot on Bluerinse...

but this created problem 3...

Problem 3 - This XP installation was on a Dell Studio 1735 which doesn't have a floppy drive required to load the SATA driver.
    Solution - Slipstream the drivers into the XP installation (Create a new XP installation disk which loads the SATA drivers needed automatically) using nLite see below for guide.

Problem 4 - With XP now installed I needed to get my laptop booting Vista again.
    Solution - Boot from the Vista installation disk, select 'Repair your Computer' and then 'Repair Startup'

Problem 5 - Enabling Duel Booting (Allow the option to boot to either Vista or XP on computer startup)
    Solution - Download EasyBCD to edit the Vista boot files.

Helpful links:

Step by Step Guide: Duel booting Vista and XP (With Vista installed first)
    A Guide to nLite

Job Done, hopefully this helps someone out there :D

15. Sparky

Nice one mate :thumbleft

16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Great stuff 8)

17. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

i normally suggest to people dat wenever they want to multiboot they shld mk use of VMware(it simulates at a minimum the instruction set of the computer it emulates and presents the apperance to the user of a differnt computer) tech in dat case u dont need to partition ur harddrive and also u can b able to run multiple OS at the same time instead of choosin a particular OS at the boot prompt. am presently runnin a VMware on my Vista Home Premium on which i installed UBUNTU, XP & WINDOWS 2003 SERVER ENTERPRISE EDITION. NOTE THAT VMware 5.0 will not install on Vista but only on Xp but VMware 6.0 will install on Vista. hp this helps.

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  18. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

I was considering VM but to be honest it was nice to get some experience in duel booting. I have a book on Virtualisation which I shall be reading up on after my N+ in a couple of weeks. Cheers for the advice anywho :D

19. Teebor

Teebor Nibble Poster

I used to use Partition Magic many years ago (I don't know if it is still around today)

This was really good as you could easily create and manage multiple partitions, and iirc you could resize partitions without loosing the data.

Also made multi-boot machines easy to create and use as well. Might be worth having a look if it is still available to buy as it was great

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCSA, CCNA, Coupla MCP's
    WIP: CCNP BCMSN, CVOICE, ITIL
  20. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Yeah, I seem to remember using Partition Magic a few years ago, Vista's supposed to be really good for non-destructive partitioning though so I stuck with that.