1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideas for services

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by skulkerboyo, Apr 4, 2008.

1. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Hi People
    As part of a fundraising effort for care international some colleagues and I will be running a PC clinic in our offices outside of work time on one of the coming weekends. We’ve got the legal bit sorted now we need to build a list of services. Initially I’ll be nicking ideas off of things like the tech guys website. The list is comprehensive enough and I would ask that you look at it before making suggestions.
    We will not be charging for this service but ask that people who use the service make a donation.
    Any help appreciated in terms of suggestions

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  2. dales

dales Gigabyte Poster

Thats a great idea, I wish i'd thought of that!

Well I suppose if your going to "borrow" ideas froim the techguys, they will have a list of all the jobs you can do in a resonably short space of time to a computer.

What about offering to install openoffice, openproj and the like, that could add value to your work and maybe advertise it as a MS office compatible office suite.

apart from that I suppose the usual virus scan, spyware removal, cleaning out the startup folder and msconfig stuff.

What about getting a few cans of air duster and foam clean and offering a physical computer clean, maybe get some wd40 and silence squeeky fans (used to do that alot in the past).

Um.. i'll go and make some tea and have a think!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. dales

dales Gigabyte Poster

ok with nice hot cuppa firmly in hand, what about scheduling disk defrag for them and doing a chkdsk /F /X so it will check the disks for them on next reboot.

Driver/new component installs?

showing them how to lock down their "personal" folder :tune

Of course you do realise that as soon as you lay a finger on the computers you will be expected to provide free tech support for the rest of its life dont you!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  4. skulkerboyo

Hence our very cleverly worded legal disclaimer. Great suggestions so far thanks:biggrin

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
  5. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

You could provide some info on how to spot a fake email or check a connection uses https before entering credit card details, online safety sort of stuff that we take for granted.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  6. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Recommend a small portable air compressor instead. Much easier on the environment as there are no empty cans to dispose of afterward.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  7. skulkerboyo

Ooh I like the security awareness idea might make up a handout to give to people