ICT

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Gaz 45, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

I've just been invited to interview for an ICT job in a local secondary school, anyone had any experience of that kind of job? How would it compare to working in IT with an actual company? Would skills learnt at the school be relevant to business?

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

depends on the school
    chances are you will be using windows XP, active directory, heavy group policy use, windows security, etc
    as well as general hardware/software problems, so generally all very useful in the business world,
    like i said, depends on the school and what there using, ive worked at ones using netware, and migrated them ;) and worked at some already on 2k

plenty of folks here work in schools i think, so you should get some input (i think Si, AJ, Greebo (who seems to of left this dimension)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hi Gaz

As Phoenix said that I work at a school, however it is a public school which is slightly different to a state secondary school. However if this gives you an idea then all the good. We have somewhere in the region of 500 pc's in the school and about 9 servers. Looking after this lot are 2 techs, 1 A/V tech, I'm the Asst Network manager looking after telephone system and helping the techs out as well, the network manager and a senior tech manager. Most of the time we seem to be correcting the teachers ****-ups. We are at the moment in the process of upgrading all the pc's to XP from W2K and the servers to 2003. The whole network is windows based except for the mail server whick runs on Linux.

Lots of Group Policy but we do not use Active Directory to it's fullest (application installs, print servers and the like).

A lot of cash at the moment is being thrown into digital projectors and interactive white boards (I did start a thread about this somewhere on the boards, I'll leave you to find it [​IMG])

We are also putting managed switches all over the school so that we can run a wireless network along with the wired one. That is interesting security, proxy settings and authentication.

All in all there is a lot happening within schools at the moment, so I say go for it.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

damn id say its different in private schools, you have that many technical staff?
    my mate has to work alone, on 20k, with about 800 pcs (increasing to 1200), 6 servers (increasing to 12), over 1000 users, managed switches everywhere finally, but not the l33t cisco stuff due to budget
    he occasionaly gets help 2 times a week for 4 hours from an old retired guy who doesnt know anything newer than NT, LOL
    hes stressin hard there :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Sounds better than I thought. I was just a little worried that there wouldn't be much relevance to the business world! Looks like it's all good. Interview's on the 22nd, will let you know how it goes.

6. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Good luck Gaz [​IMG]

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  7. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Well the interview went well enough, me and 3 other candidates. Think i'm the only one currently taking any certs...
    Sitting around waiting now, should find out this afternoon!

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Fingers crossed, m8 [​IMG]

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Didn't get it. Ho hum...

10. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Unlucky mate, never good to get a rejection from a job interview.[​IMG] Just look at it as experience, and there will be more along soon!

ANdy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  11. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

Did you get any feedback Gaz?

Keep your chin up - I'm sure it will happen for you soon - just keep getting yourself out there.

Certifications: MOS Master Instructor
  12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It happens, Gaz. I've collected just about a ton of rejections. It's nothing personal. Keep plugging away. It'll happen. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Sorry to hear it Gaz, but your time will come m8.

Just added another rejection letter to my collection as well this week. Don't worry about it - like the Guys say, keep trying [​IMG]

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity