IBM pc Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rufftongue, Feb 22, 2006.

1. rufftongue

rufftongue Bit Poster

i am working on an IBM pc .fisrt i format the drive and install XP after installing XP during the bootup process the XP logo hangs.can anyone help me with some solution.i need it very urgent..thanks
    Enoch

Certifications: A+
    WIP: NETWORK+
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

right, you formatted the drive and installed XP. Did it boot to the desktop for the first time after saying it will restart the machine in 15 seconds?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If the installation finished can you get into safe mode on boot?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. rufftongue

rufftongue Bit Poster

no,i did not see the desktop but after the installation the xp logo start and there it hangs.i try to fix anothe hard drive the same problem.

5. hbroomhall

You say after the installation - did the installation actualy finish?

Harry.

6. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

my guess is that it is acpi related. an acpi mismatch has a tendency to hang at the boot logo after an install. check your hal to see if the pc is okay for xp. not sure how you install but tweaking txtsetup.sif may also be an option.

as a side note, i've looked at the recent threads you created here, and i get the feeling that you're using us as some sort of level3 support for problems you encounter at your work. which is fine, but do hope that you're not just looking for a quick fix.

7. Liqua

Liqua Bit Poster

During boot up, press F8, and select safe mode.

If you get to a desktop in safemode (garish colours and low res !) then the problem most likely lies with a dodgy / incompatible driver.

Also, you did not mention if the PC was a badged PC (like Dell / HP / Compaq / etc) or some clone that has been cobbled together. Some of these named vendors do things in a quirky way that makes a normal installation of XP .. interesting shall we say :rolleyes:

Certifications: CCNA, SND, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: CISSP
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Being as it is a fresh install and there is no data involved i would wipe and re-install again.
    Did the machine you are installing XP on have it on before? The reason i ask is it could be that some of the hardware in the machine isn't compatible with XP or causing a problem at this stage. If this is the case the way around it would be to remove it (being that it can be :) ), install XP and then try and get the device to work.
    Take a look here for hardware Microsoft say will work with their Operating systems.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. rufftongue

rufftongue Bit Poster

THANKX TO ALL.I WILL TRY THAT AND HOPE IT WORKS

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Did you check the compatibility of the hardware?

/checkupgradeonly option?

You might need to update the BIOS to a later version? Do a bit of googling and try and find details on the IBM model and any power management issues with XP installations.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. eyeball

eyeball Nibble Poster

I think it is F7 during the install (at the part saying press F6 to install thrid party drivers) to disable the acpi install.

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCSA
    WIP: CCNA, MCSE+security
  12. hbroomhall

And I believe that F5 allows you to chose the HAL.

Harry.

13. law123

law123 Byte Poster

Did the P.C have XP on it before?
    What are the specs of your system as some people try to run XP on very low spec systems with no luck.

Here is some of the specs at very least needed for XP home
    I think everone here will agree it would be better with higher. I am not recomendng this it is just a idea of the lowest specs.

PC with 300 MHz or higher processor clock speed recommended
    233-MHz minimum required

128 MB of RAM or higher recommended
    64 MB minimum supported

1.5 gigabyte GB of available hard disk space

Super VGA 800 × 600Dpi or higher resolution video adapter and monitor

I hope this may help if it is hardware related

George

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  14. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

I was tinkering a month or so ago with a IBM PIII that I had and I disabled the ACPI stuff - now the thing does not even boot at all - so be careful [I'll have another fiddle with this crook unit later]

Another thing I would try is do a low format on the hard disk using the vendor specific tools that each drive uses. As if you used this PC as either a sole linux or shared boot linux/XP PC then reinstalled XP onto it the install can bork as the MBR etc on the drive can be clagged.
    [the symptons of this problem are either XP wont install or the XP freezes after install during subsequent startup]

HTH

supa

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff