I think I need to go and work in a cave

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by wizard, Oct 24, 2008.

1. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I went for a job interview yesterday and found out about an hour ago I didn't get the job. So me being a little nosy, decided for the first time ever to take up the agency on the offer to send me feedback from the interview and here it is.

The ironic thing is I have worked in call centres in the past and I do get on well with others, don't we all at one point in a day just want the person working next to you to shut up so you can get on with your work?

So it seems I need to go and find a cave to work in.

I am now really getting to the stage where I am fed up of the job hunting grind wearing me down and now my finances are getting to the stage where if I don't laugh I'm just going to cry.

I have said many times in the past, I'm not an ass kisser, I will not tell people what they want to hear, I would rather not comment at all, then people do know how I think if I don't respond.

So answers on a postcard on how to proceed from here?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi dude, don't get stressed it's not worth it on your whole being and health. Just keep plugging away and the right environment and job would come.

Persistence is the name of the game, trust me I have been there. I was once doing a post office job looking to break into IT for over five years with thanks but no thanks type of feedbacks from interview to interview. Guess what it was painful and disheartening but I kept on and so can you.

Don't let sorry pathetic feedback from people dictate your future as you do seem a decent and intelligent guy. Best wishes and be strong as a man:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Hang in there m8 and try (I know it's not easy) not to let the financial pressures get to you. :thumbleft

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. Teebor

Teebor Nibble Poster

Hey dude,

Take a step back and chill for a minute and then look at the last interview as a learning experience and move on, turn it around and be more confident in yourself for your next interview.

The worst thing you can do is let it get you down, I know its hard sometimes but try and see the positive in everything. You may not have got the job but you got more interview experience, which is very valuable itself.

Things have a way of working themselves out :)

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCSA, CCNA, Coupla MCP's
    WIP: CCNP BCMSN, CVOICE, ITIL
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

The important thing to remember in an interview is that, short of molesting children, you LOVE EVERYTHING.

Working in crowds, working alone, the smell of BO, long hours, short hours - even if you come across as a mass of self contradictions.

It's very easy for an interviewer to pick up on ANY dislikes you have and use that to tar you as an unreasonable or negative person.

But hang in there.

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

this is very good advice, remember you are trying to impress, also Remember kissing Arse is just another word for bull Shxxing. chin up :D

WIP: C++ and A+
  7. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

You could always try self-employment. Whenever someone comes in and bothers me I bill them for it. :-)

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

That's what I'm looking into. :)

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'm sure most people do. But is an interview really the best place to bring something like that up?

Unfortunately, in an interview, you don't have the option to "not comment at all". That'd be a sure-fire way to get your CV put in the "No" stack!

Just be careful and calculated with the answers you give in an interview. Nobody says you have to kiss butt... but you also don't have to nuke your chances at the job by revealing information that's likely to take you out of consideration for the job.

For example... who *really* likes getting up at 2am to answer an on-call page? I certainly don't. But do you have to say, "I really don't want to be on call at night"? If you honestly don't want to be on call at night, then fine, say so... but realize that revealing that information can take you out of consideration for the job. It all depends on how badly you want the job... are the "people who constantly talk" MORE irritating than you not being employed? Weigh the options, then reveal what you feel you must reveal.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

If you're seriously interested in setting up your own PC repair shop, plz feel free to e-mail me and I'll be happy to give you an idea of startup costs, what you absolutely should stock, what tools are critical, etc. My e-mail is sean <<@t>> meadowlarkpc <<d0+>> ca

It's also worth mentioning that I live in a rural area. There are no other trained techs out here so the locals pressed me into service. I've since discovered that this is the case in a lot of rural areas. So much so, that if you locate the right town or village, the local chamber of commerce and economic development board will bend over backwards to help you start up. This could include free rent for a space for a short period, waiving fees, etc.

Something to think about.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It's tough, but when answering interview questions, it helps to try and tailor your response to how you think the interviewer will interpret it. What may seem like a perfectly innocent comment to you can be seen in a totally different light be a potential employer (which seems to be exactly what happened in this case).

Why this is tough is that you don't want to be duplicitous during an interview either. If you give the impression a job will be easy for you when it's not, you're likely going to find yourself in an environment you hate.

Of course, there are days when I wish I did work in a cave. That's a reflection of stuff just not working the way it should be and no easy resolution in sight :sigh:. It's also why I'm "killing time" here at CF, waiting for "the fix" to come in.

I've been unemployed and looking for work and it suks. It's later on a Friday (for you, still not lunch time here yet), so you might as well bag it for the weekend and try to relax and do something fun, to take the edge off. You can hit it again hard on Monday.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  12. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Im exactly the same mate but when i go for an interview i tell them what they want to hear and not what i really think:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  13. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You didnt say that did you? :eek:

Perhaps you need more direction in your career, not just temp jobs that come and go. Choose a path and then stick to it. 8)

Best of luck! :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

What I said and what was meant were 2 totally different things.

I said that sometimes you just want someone to be quiet for a couple of minutes so you can get on with your work.

15. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

That's a good point, but also just try and be yourself I know at interviews we have to sell ourselves (like a TV advert) but it's also wise just be yourself, relaxed and be honest. Because they will find out if you don't know your stuff!8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  16. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

For a job in a call center? You've got to be kidding!

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  17. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

You've got a point there mate!:biggrin I remember working for a bank - call centre and you couldn't hear yourself think, it was so noise!! Although I think the worst bit about call centres is having that telephone manner drummed into your head that you even say those annoying speech tones outside of work!8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+