I.T Tech Job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by loca1hero, Jan 7, 2011.

1. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Hi,

Just got an email notification about this IT Tech job for a local college, please refer to the spec attached, now I’m very much interested in this role as in my current role as Service Desk Analyst doing the usual duties .. were I don’t get the chance to do any hands-on duties hardware or software, and as mentioned in the job ad they are looking for someone with CompTIA N+ qualification which I have. Only thing is If you refer to the spec on the essential skills, the first two skills.. I’ve not worked much with switches, routers and CAT 5 cabling and that’s my only area of concern. Should I still go for it ?

Attached Files:

Certifications: Network+ (004), MCP, see signature
    WIP: MCITP & few oths.Cisco aft sum XPri
  2. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

Yes, whats the worse that could happen?

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  3. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

I'd say it couldn't hurt. The fact that you have a network+ would help in that you would have an understanding of the networking basics. I've come to believe that if you fulfill the majority of the requirements, you can sell them by showing them that you are keen to learn new things. Depending on how network intensive the role is (and the quality of the other candidates) you can stand a shot. The way I see it, put yourself out there. If you do get a call back, then I would think that they aren't too worried about the networking aspect of it. It's better to have someone that you need to train in a couple of things than to have someone that you need to train in everything. Bottom line: go for it... put yourself out there. You gotta be in it to win it!

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  4. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

Go for it :-)

Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7
  5. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

If you are interested in the job you should definately go for it even if you feel you dont match up as you can then explain to them that you are very willing to learn new and that can be shown by your home study(thats if how you got your certs)

The only thing worrying me is it seems a basic wage for what it is if it is a network admin roll.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  6. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Sometimes you have to think of the wage of the role after, as it stands this sounds like a more hands on role, and should help gain exposure to technologies and for the OP this will be more valuable in the long run, so rather than just concentrating on the money now think long term.

Also colleges/schools have quite a lot of time off so check out the working hours as well.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You might get the job if you apply for it... you definitely WON'T get the job if you DON'T apply for it. Go for it!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I wasnt looking at it from a dont go for it as the money aint good, but more a this job description has been beefed up alot and you aint going to be doing half the things on their.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  9. Phil182

Phil182 Nibble Poster

Yeah go for it, you'll get the experience of the interview as well, which if unsuccessful will improve your confidence in the next.

A little tip for you - They always ask you about prioritising work loads in a college and as the customer (in this case the students) are number one, make sure you bare this in mind when answering.

The wage is typical if not better for that job role IMO.

Good luck mate.

Certifications: MCDST, MCP 70-271, NVQ IT Practitioner
    WIP: MCTS: SQL Server 2008
  10. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Thanks everyone, I did submit my application on friday itself, and your replies made me think that its best to apply and like Phil mentioned even if I get to interview stage then I'll get the experience of the interview, which if unsuccessful will give me an idea on what to expect on future interviews for such role(s) and help my confidence in the next.

I was not thinking about the salary to be that much of an issue as I'm really looking to gain experience and exposure to new technologies and besides I do get paid more in my current job but I have to travel out of my local area were as this job is local so I don't mind taking a cut-back (saves me the time on travelling) but we'll see how it goes..:biggrin

Certifications: Network+ (004), MCP, see signature
    WIP: MCITP & few oths.Cisco aft sum XPri