I shall be a case-study :)

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by morph, Feb 28, 2008.

1. morph

morph Byte Poster

So on March the 8th I embark on a 6 day CCNA course - its a free course for my company and they've decided to send me on it. CCNA is somthing i want to get and accomplish - however i didnt think things would be happening this quickly.

I've posted in the network + section before but not really got involved here as yet (for one reason and another life is extremly hectic at the moment and studying has had to be put on the back-burner for a while).

Right to the point of the post!
    I see lots of posts about 'can i do it without experience?' 'Should i go on this type of 6 day course' etc.. - Well i have to go on this course - i dont have any choice. I got a job as trainee network gimp - bout 6 months ago, passed my network+ last month (found it easier going than i thought once i was in the exam - still, a bit of a challenge) - i didnt have any extensive networking knowledge before this, i mean i set up home networks that sort of thing and played with pc's, but not alot else.

I've actually tried to move the course but i cant - i've already told my boss, i'll get loads out of the 6 day course but as far as i'm concerned i have a snowball's chance in hell of passing it - and even if i did by some freak of nature - it wont prepare me for the workplace (persoanlly i think that nothing counts as much as experience) - i plan on re-taking in 6-7 months, i'm not being down on myself just realistic, i'll give it a shot but i wont be stressing one little bit if i fail - anyway - i shall keep you posted on how i found it, as i think this might help others who are signing up for Cisco courses etc.. to get that killah £30,000 job.

Yesterday our entire network fell over for some reason, knifes are out from the top, i wouldnt really know where to start even if i had got the CCNA in 2 weeks! - my immediate bosses are working their nuts of trying to workout what happened - they've got years of experience!, i'd wantb the experienc ebefore i managed to blag some network admin job!
    anyway keep yah posted ;)

ps - forgot to say - i will have done the pre-reading for the course by next week which is a small amount of stuff that you dont have to understand fully, just go over :)

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

First of all - good luck with the course.

It seems to me that you are appoaching this with the right attitude. With Network+ under your belt, and the fact that you *do* have some network experience, I would expect that parts of the course will be moderately familiar. This will help as one of the recurring problems with such courses is that people without any background in the subject can easy get left behind, such is the speed of the course, and never catch up again.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Agreed. You are approaching the course and the CCNA exam and resultant certification with the right perspective. You know you won't automagically be... dun-dun-DUN!!!! CISCO MAN!!!! upon taking the course, and possibly, getting certified. As you already realize, passing the exam is one thing... being able to DO the job is quite another.

Taking a course is NOT a bad thing. Learning new technologies is NOT a bad thing. Getting a certification is NOT, in itself, a bad thing. Getting a somewhat advanced certification for the purpose of getting a great job/large salary without first having experience... that's the only thing we typically warn against. :) And that's obviously not your purpose. You have been asked by your current employer to take the course. So... you take the course. :)

Let us know how you get on!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

Yeah good luck with the course, 6 days will be pretty intense i would say, but you will pick up some stuff which you can certainly build on regardless of the test result.

WIP: LIFE
  5. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

You’ve got the right attitude, you’re gaining experience, and the company wants to send you (even after you told them you weren’t qualified?) those are the right signs. It’s not that you shouldn’t go for the CCNA it’s that you shouldn’t think getting a piece of paper qualifies one to be ready for everything network related – which you don’t.

Best of luck in your course.

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Rather you than me.. Sits back and waits for head to explode :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Jaytee2305

Jaytee2305 Bit Poster

i wish someone would send me on a ccna course

Certifications: MCSE, Network+, Server+, HP APS
  8. Colin1

Colin1 Byte Poster

Good luck Mate,

I agree with what the other CF dudes are saying! you are in a no lose situation so why not! if your employer is aware of your inexperience then he/she(s) (DONT WANT MITZ AFTER ME NOW DO I?) should not expect you to pick it up instantly, go for it!

C :p

Certifications: Cisco IT Essentials,
    WIP: IT degree, CIW (Web), A+, N+
  9. morph

morph Byte Poster

so i got ICND 1 in 48 minutes - didnt sleep to well last night, not because of nerves - so feel a bit tired, not feeling 100% about it but we shall see!

its been extremly full on since monday - starting at 9 in the morning and finsihing / going to bed about midnight - i feel for the CCNP people - 14 days straight through!!

10. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

You have class in 48-min or the test? Best of luck :)

14-days for the CCNP? Maybe as a refresher for the exams (for experienced folks). It’s hard to believe it will be enough for people preparing for the CCNP for the first time doing no background reading. Forget about folks with little to no experience – they shouldn’t be there anyway. :noway

The only decent program I know of around here is minimum of 5-days (8am – 5pm) per module. BSCI is 5 days; BCMSN is 5 days; etc… At the pace the instructor teaches at you have to at least have a very strong knowledge base. It’s more like a refresher, so how is it accomplished in 14-days is beyond me. :unsure

11. morph

morph Byte Poster

so i skanked the exam got an 818 (804 to pass - so CCENT qualified)- some in my group failed, some passed, completely fell apart once i got in there - need to sleep more, will write about the my whole boot camp experience at the end! time for a pint.....:D

12. BosonMichael

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  13. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Congrats on the pass... 8)

14. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Well done...
    Congrats :thumbleft

15. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  16. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Well done and congrats:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  17. morph

morph Byte Poster

okey dokey - so gonna be taking the ICND 2 in about 2 hours, feeling even worse this time -this ones gonna be a nightmare :D

18. BosonMichael

Yep... the ICND2 is certainly more difficult than ICND1.

I hope you're doing well, since you're probably taking the exam by now!

19. morph

morph Byte Poster

ah fuk it!

got a 734 needed over an 825 - not far far of - so gonna leave it a couple of weeks and then have another stab at it - fully could see where my problems were so going to tighten things up there and then nail this bad boy...its weird i was thinking before hand i didnt care if i passed or failed...but i sort of do...:D

in terms of the actual course - the tutor we had was an absolute diamond - couldnt fault the guy - he's sit up with us to midnight just talking thigns through etc.. really interactive course style - one guy was re-doing his icnd2 and passed, and he said the other tutor was not as good - is it good form to actually name the training company? if not i wont :D

20. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Bad luck Morph, so close and yet so far :(

As you have 73 posts and have been a member for nearly a year, i would think it's fine to name the company, if you so wish.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)