I passed :)

Discussion in 'A+' started by Mariusz, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

Hi
    I passed Essentials last week 690/900 and 602 today 759/900 (exam was hard, and there were many things that were never on M. Meyers book, I am amazed I passed it at all), so now I start to learn towards N+

what patch would you recommend me guys? Shall I focus on N+ only or shall I do something else with it?
    I was thinking about CompTIA IT Project, and 70-680: Configuring Windows 7 (is it worth doing it?)
    I don't want to do MCDST as it is based on win xp (as far as I know), and this system will be rather forgotten within 1-2 years, what else would you recommend guys? and shall I do it all together or rather one at a time?

Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I seriously doubt it, considering Windows 2000 is still used by some companies!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Windows XP will not be redunant for many years, not every company has the budget to role out a new OS every time Microsoft decide to release one.

We still use Windows 2000 and XP and have no plans to change at all.

BTW the questions you got in your exam that were not mentioned in the Mike Meyers book were probably beta questions that don't get scored on. There are always beta questions to see if they should be in a new pool of questions when they are created or for the next series of the exam. So for example if you got questions on Vista they will have been beta questions that are now proper questions in the 700 series.

EDIT: Well done :)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

concerning to tests and difficult questions, they were among these 90 questions, so I don't think they were beta

concerning to xp - I know nobody is going to change xp for win 7 as it has no sense, but I was thinking that companies change their computers once a few years, and if they will, they will probably buy them with win 7

5. greenbrucelee

the are counted in with the proper test. You do not know which questions you get scored on and which questions you don't. You also don't know if a two part answer is worth more than a one part answer compTIA don't release this info and it is the same with Microsoft.

We change out PC's all the time and infact we downgrade them to XP as a lot of companies do.

I was thinking about doing the windows upgrades for MCDST and I will do Windows 7 not the Vista one as most companies never went to vista because it was ****e when compared to XP or 7.

6. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

so is there something like win 7 upgrade for MCDST? is there an MCDST based on win 7? sorry for asking, but I didn;t find these info on MS website

so what courses do you suggest for me?
    what about this CompTIA IT Project? worth doing?

a bit of how I see myself in IT: I'd rather working in small IT team (1-3 people) that does a bit of everything (like ms office, graphic software, all soft related to office, eg warehouse, invoicing, fixing/maintaining equipment etc) in medium size company - as this is what I was doing years ago and I enjoyed it.

7. greenbrucelee

MCTS 70-620 is the upgrade from the MCDST XP to Vista and the MCTS 70-680 is the one for Windows 7.

You should do Network + before going on as it will help you befor doing any of the Microsoft certs. I don't know much about project + or anyone that has ever done or knows anything about it or why it's needed.

8. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

thanks for the exam number, as about N+ of course I will do it first (right after ITQ lvl2 and ECDL Extra, I will finish them this month)

thanks for help :-)

9. greenbrucelee

remember you will need the MCDST first before doing either the 620 or 680.

10. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

ok, I will, cheers for help and support :-)

11. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Congratulations on the new certification!

Sorry for bumping the topic, but I was wondering about something.

So, suppose you pass; what happens then? Does Comptia send you a certificate/badge/pin by post (like Microsoft used to do) or do you only get digital copies?
    Is there also a transcript system, like Microsoft's?

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  12. greenbrucelee

4-8 weeks later you get a certificate saying your a certified compTIA IT Technican, a card that you can show to people to prove your A+ certified Technician and official compTIA transcript page that shows the exams you have passed.

This is all on compTIAs website and in the books.

13. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

:oops:

Hmm, read the intro of Mike Meyers' book and could've sworn it wasn't mentioned there :tune
    Anyway, thanks!

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  14. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

you also get a card for your wallet (perforated on a sheet) ,i dont know if this is still the case
    I did mine some time ago now.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  15. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

CompTIA tells you that you need to go online to set up your account. You need to confirm your address etc with them so they can send you the certificate and card. Here in the states the certificate only took 2-3 weeks. You can also get a pdf that you can download and print out to have immediately. I seem to remember that it was a 2 or three step process. This of course all assumes that you pass what ever cert you were taking.

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple