i feel under paid

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by msgang, Dec 26, 2011.

1. msgang

msgang Banned

much respect :)

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

What people haven't asked (and in my opinion is important) is where abouts geographically are you working?, what industry? what are your peers earning? whats your career ladder like?

I ask these questions because if you're stuck in the middle of London working in mainstream IT for a large Banking or Media company then 22k is poor, however if you're working somewhere like Bristol, Leeds, Sunderland (and please, these are just places picked at RANDOM) working for a local company providing support for 30 people then your salary and career expectations are probably right for the area and type of company you work for.

I would also suggest that you think carefully before demanding more money for the role you're doing because with the current market being the state that it is it really is an employers market out there, they have a much better chance of hiring someone on who is willing to work for 22k than someone demanding 27k because they have 2 years experience. As an example my wife hasn't had an extra increase in salary (apart from cost of living) in 5 years, thats not to say that she is bad at her job, every year she manages to get a performance related bonus from her company (whilst many in the company don't) but she still hasn't been given a rate increase. Oh and this year she spent 3 months working overseas in Dublin and didn't receive anything 'extra' because of it. Just be thankful that you have work.

A side note for you, if your role at work doesn't include using (and further to that the company don't actually own\run the hardware you're testing on) then you may be wasting your time with the CCENT, especially with the three year renewal, it would be better to test on something you're using then something you're not.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. msgang

msgang Banned

Good point about me wasting time with ccent, I am doing it not to learn about cisco switches like i said before it is to learn networking as a whole. Eitherway the guy who represents my review at the company agreed that I should do ccent.

4. msgang

msgang Banned

i love this company its great, and i do not want to quit and be a quitter, I know i can easily get 30k in other companies if i move ships due to my experience, skills and the certs but i do not want to, the work is relaxing here,

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Actually I would be surprised if this is the case. You may think you can easily make the jump to £30k but there are loads of other people in the same position as you. So when that 30k job gets advertised there will be lots of people applying for it.

Also you say the where you work just now is relaxing!?! Not seen many IT departments like that over the last few years. Due to the lack of funds most companies have right now IT pros are working harder than ever which can mean working longer hours and supporting ageing infrastructure.

Plenty to think about mate. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. msgang

msgang Banned

I am well aware that they will be alot of ppl applying for jobs, no doubt, but i don't care, heaps of people applied for the job i got hired for an I beat all of them, I am used to competition it is no problem, if I am gonna work for more than 40 hours then I can claim over time, :) which I do in my role.

7. msgang

msgang Banned

I also know that I have a long way to go and lot to learn :) and I am looking forward to those kind of things.

8. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

I'm hardly the most experienced guy on the forum but the question (as it appears to me) is not what you as a person are worth, more how much the role is worth.

It is irrelevant if you are a fire breathing, CCIE, MCSE with language skills in Chinese, Russian and Spanish if your job role is to flip burgers. I am not suggesting for one minute that you do flip burgers or that's your level of responsibility just pointing out that the wage fits the role rather than fits the person.

If you feel that as a person you can go and do a role that commands more money then the proof of that theory is getting a new job in a new role that pays more money.

The only realistic way of achieving a pay increase where you are is if you have ample evidence from local job listings that your current role is worth more than you get currently and/or you can negotiate a job title change to reflect greater responsibilities and thus the associated wage.

TL;DR - You get paid for what you do, not what you can do.

Hope that made sense.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
    Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680