i am preparing for A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by pwd_directory, Jun 3, 2010.

1. pwd_directory

pwd_directory Bit Poster

Dear All,
    i am preparing for A+. and i want to take both exams at a time 220-701 and 220-702
    please guide me in such a way that i can pass my both papers in first attempt. i cant afford failure to my exams.
    can any one pin point the areas. i am studying according to comptia objectives currently.is it right to just study the objectives thoroughly ??
    THANKS

2. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I'm biased, but I would suggest, at a minimum, downloading demos from legitimate practice test providers to get a feel for the types of questions that are asked on the exam. The All-in-One book by Mike Meyers is a great book for studying for the exams.

3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You need to study all of the objectives. Mike Meyers All in one exam guide 7th edition is the best book read it from cover to cover.

prof messer videos are good too

get a good practice exam. I had preplogic and trancender for my A+ and I had the opportunity to review Bosons A+ exam sims and in all honesty I wish Bosons exam had been around when I had done my A+ as I know for a fact I would have got a higher score.

www.boson.com

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. pwd_directory

pwd_directory Bit Poster

Thanks
    really helpful replies.

5. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Definitely get a good study book!!! Practice exams, and practice tests on sites like this will not be enough. You might also check out Proprofs.com because they have a lot of material to look at and some practice exams. The Mike Meyers book is highly regarded by many people on this forum. I used a book by Jean Andrews on A+. If I had known about this forum first I might have gotten Meyers instead. The Andrews book was good and at around 1200 pages took a while to digest! So, get a good reference that keys into the exam objectives and learn it front to back! Then you can focus on practice exams.

I recommend more than one source. What I did was use the ExamCram book as my second source but I really only used the CD practice exams that came with it and occasionally used the book to help with something that wasn't making sense in the Andrews book. I liked the ExamCram practice tests. I also liked the Preplogic practice tests. They occasionally go on sale (I got Network+ and Security+ for $50/each) one weekend sale. When studying for the A+ bridge, I used Ucertify and Transcender practice exams. I also prepared over 2000 flashcard/questions. These were actually my main studying. They were mainly created from the material in the Andrews book plus the questions on the various practice exams. You can't work too hard for something you want to get! Good luck.

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  6. pwd_directory

pwd_directory Bit Poster

Thanks mate.

7. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

I would recommend not to do both exams same day, do them same week, but not same day (and if same day do yourself 2 hours of break), maybe it is just me and my brain gets tired fast, and after 50 questions I couldn't focus on exam, I'm a foreigner and it was a bit difficult as well, coz there are still words I don't know

as about learning, I was using M. Meyers book, and that's it, I had Prof Messer films, but didn't watch them, to get practise I bought some old parts on ebay and built a computer from the beginning (all costed me about 30-40 quid), then I built a computer of new parts AMD Phenom II x2 550 and overclocked it to 3520MHz (also unlocked 2 more cores, but it was unstable, so I locked them again), 4 GB DDR3 1333 MHz Ram, Palit GT 9800 1GB DDR3, 2x1TB Samsung F3 Raid 0 (just to practise how to do raids), with win 7 and all in Coolermaster 330 with 460W PSU - , all costed me about 600 Pounds, but if I want to play new game it works fine :) (it is not necessary, and many people will say that it was stupid to build a computer and that I should focus more on theory, but It helped me to understand some things), reading IT related magazines helps a lot as well (not directly, but you gain experience and knowledge), If you live in UK you can subscribe PC Pro or Custom PC for 1 Pound per 3 issues as a trial, and you can stop on it, or continue subscribing
    there are some free tests on http://www.proprofs.com/certification/comptia/a-plus/practice/index.shtml also on http://www.professormesser.com/category/a-plus-pop-quizzes there is one question every day from monday till friday

as about exam, I passed it this week, had quite a lot weird questions, where I was trying to think in logical way to figure out the answer, because there were things I never heard about (for example cmd commands I never read about in Meyers book), good tip is to tick second answer when you have no idea what answer to choose :),it saved me couple of times on different exams :-), but is is better to know things than to count it will work.

In general: I red the book 4 times, once from cover to cover, second time, from second chapter to the end, and twice just took a look at the book, pictures, tips, and red only what seemed to be necessary and still didn't know it, during the test try to think in logical way if you don't know the answer, it is good to do some tests from the cd that is attached to book, it shows you where you need to improve most
    to prepare took me over 6 months, but I was working a lot (50-70 hrs a week) in the meantime, and have problems with learning and keeping focus on reading in general, normal person can do it in 3 months or less

good luck

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
    Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you must have missed some pages in the AIO book or you had a dodgy copy of it, because there's plenty about cmd commands in it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

I had original book :)
    maybe I missed something :)

Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7