1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hyper-v through server 2012 running in vmware player

Discussion in 'Virtual Computing' started by shadowwebs, Nov 16, 2013.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

so I have a little problem here in that I am currently trying to test out hyper-v within server 2012, however I am running server 2012 through VMware player which does not support hyper-v.

is there a way around this or do I need to get myself a different virtualisation software like oracle virtual box?

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

Can you install windows 8.1 on anything a hyper-v I built in to that

WIP: 70-680
  3. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I guess I could do it that way, where I would install Server 2012 as the host on my PC and then start Hyper-V to run 8.1

- - - Updated - - -

ignore my ignorance, it appears that I was not aware that you could use Hyper-V within Windows 8.1, now that I have realised this I can start to have a play.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  4. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

Yeah it's one of the main reasons I upgraded my work machine to 8.1

WIP: 70-680
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

You can't run Hyper-V in a VM. It needs to be on a physical machine.

Also worth noting that the Hyper-V in 8.1 is a cut down version of that in 2012.

:)