HTML Editor

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by tripwire45, Aug 22, 2003.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

What the heck am I doing here? I don't know a thing about HTML. Well, that's why I'm here. As I've perhaps mentioned elsewhere, I'm doing a bit of technical writing as a volunteer effort for a linux tutorial website. My first article is published and I've submitted a second. The site admin asked if I could possibly use a HTML editor to save him a few steps. Here's an excerpt from his e-mail:

Do you have an HTML editor? To be honest, it would save me a lot of time if you sent me the files in very basic HTML. That is, without any fancy styles. All I would really need is just the paragraph tag (<P>) between the paragraph, bold, italics and links to other sites, but that's about it. If
    you don't have it, don't worry about it. I can save the doc file as HTML and do some automatic conversion.

Any ideas?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Wouldn't have a clue there Trip, however My nephew is on a web course so I will ask his advice

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Do you have FrontPage Trip? I think all he wants is for the text to be html rather than just plain text or word format. You could do it in Word and save it HTML but Word adds alot of unnecessary tags.

Tags are the foundations of HTML, example:

This is BOLD and this is <u>Underlined </u></p>[code:1:35d179a142]&lt;p&gt;This is &lt;b&gt;BOLD&lt;/b&gt; and this is &lt;u&gt;Underlined &lt;/u&gt;&lt;/p&gt;[/code:1:35d179a142]

Notice the paragraph tags. There are a few FREE wysiwyg html editors on the net take a look here http://www.thefreecountry.com/webmaster/htmleditors.shtml or http://www.virtualmechanics.com/products/dwarf/

HTH

SimonV

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Thanks, Si. I'll take a look at the links in a bit. It's interesting that, of the people I've asked, you're the only one who suggested FrontPage. Most people seem to want to avoid it. I've already been looking at a couple of HTML tutorial sites. With simple enough examples of the tags, what they do, and how to organize them in a text article, I could probably just write the thing. Thanks again.

5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If its just basic pages your doing then FrontPage will do the job. I use it if I need to d a basic table layout or I can’t remember a certain picture alignment, then just copy the html between the body tags into the page I'm creating.

There are some seriously complicated editors out there but you can get very professional looks. I use Macromedia's Dreamweaver MX for "real" web design, but if its only creating basic pages and you know your way around other MS office products it will be much easier not having to learn a new interface.

SimonV

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I've had to temporarily shelve this project but it can't stay there forever. As much as I appreciate the suggestion Si, the FrontPage option continues to bother me somewhat. Someone suggested a networking utility that can be downloaded and, while I was visiting the site, I found a whole bunch of html editors here: http://www.millionskies.com/HTML_Editors/. Since all I really want to do is to write an article and include some links that can be submitted and readily be published to the web, I thought something like the following product may be useful: http://www.millionskies.com/HTML_Editors/JXHTMLEDIT.html.

Has anyone used any of these before or have any opinions?

Edit: Uh oh. The site is British (as if I couldn't have guessed). No problem there, but if I want to actually buy something, all the prices are in pounds. What's € 75,00, how's it translate into dollars and how would I pay it? Guess I'm not as much of an "international" guy as I thought. :oops:

7. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Hi Trip,

There are a couple of other free options you could try before shelling out your hard earned cash. One is Hapedit and the other is WebMatrix, both are designed for coders but I'm pretty sure have wysiwyg interfaces. Or as you say you could just add the tags yourself. I think the problem with the output from the office apps is that they pad out the documents with masses of stuff like xml which you don't want.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Thanks, Phil. I'll check them out.

9. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

As for the currency conversion issue i always have the following link in my favourites list.

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

It's easy to use, take a look

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  10. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Great Link Derek, thanks :)

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685