Hows this for nearly being ripped off

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, May 8, 2008.

1. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

£50 an hour, man, sounds like I need to do a leaflet drop round my area! :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

People will pay it, and again too if you do a good job.

When I had my first PC years ago if you needed one of their guys to come out to your house its was £85 per hour plus travelling costs.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep. I regularly charge $80-100/hr on my own, and my employers have charged from $100-200/hr for my work. From what I understand of salary and cost-of-living differences between here and there (not just straight currency conversion), £85 per hour is roughly equivalent to what I'm charging on my own.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Right then, anyone studying photoshop and want a project? I need some cool leaflets. :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  5. greenbrucelee

I can do photoshop, I use quark and photoshop every day, they both piss me off but for the right price I can be made happy :twisted:

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Would a few cans of stella do? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. greenbrucelee

How many cans? :)

8. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

Go 330cd then, im guessing your talking E46 3 series. The diesels are very good now, diesel consumption driven steady or petrol performance driven harder. Maybe dig deep and upgrade to latest 3 series get a 335d Id settle for just affording a new car lol, my cars a wreck.

WIP: A+
  9. greenbrucelee

I'd love a 330cd m sport (the new one) but unless someone gives me a ****load of cash that aint gonna happen.

I'll keep looking about for now.

10. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

I was interested to read this thread as the same thing happended to me recently. My battery was always draining after approx 3 weeks, and I took it into a major auto-electric garage thinking they would know their stuff. Unfortunately I was wrong. After 4 visits, TWO new batteries, and TWO new alternators, and total cost of £230, I was pretty unimpressed when the battery just drained again after a few weeks.

So, I phoned up a small one-man garage whose not even listed in the Yellow Pages or business directories - and whom I only know from word of mouth.

He came up to the house, and tested various voltages under the bonnet, and after approx 10mins announced 'thats it'. Needless to say I was quite impressed after months of inconvenience. He'd identified a bad earth connection, probably due to corrosion. An earth strap costing £7 was the solution, and £20 was the labour charge.

I just think some garages just can't be bothered with the trouble-shooting process - they just jump to the most common conclusion - not exactly pride in their work is it.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  11. greenbrucelee

your probably right, they'l go for the easiest option.

12. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

The worst of it was that on the first visit, I suggested to the guy behind the counter that I suspected it was a short circuit/bad connection/bad earth type of problem (not that I have any great knowledge of car electrics - but I had been reading up on it in the Haynes manual) - and after 1 new battery and 1 new alternator they still didn't bother exploring that avenue.

Before he went on to a third alternator I gave up on them. Small garages are definitely the way to go, but you've got to get a trustworthy guy, whom maybe you've heard from someone else is good (even asking taxi-drivers, for example, who have usually got plenty of opinions on how to keep a car running, and whom they have found is reliable mechanic).

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA