How would you feel if the UK Gov brought in mandatory certs/quals for the IT Industry

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by Kitkatninja, Jun 26, 2008.

?

Do you think specific/certain certs/quals should be mandatory in the IT Field?

1. Yes

32 vote(s)
    58.2%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    32.7%
  3. Don't know

5 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

I vote no

I am also more concerned with my own career than the incompetencies of others in the industry I may encounter. However frustrating the useless and the braindump brigade may be, If you want to succeed in this business then you simply have to put your blinkers on and get on with it.

You get no points for pointing out the incompetencies of your colleagues. Only for your successes

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No, it wouldn't. First, it would be financially unfeasible for Microsoft to hire enough people to grade them. But let's say that they cover that cost by increasing the price of each certification exam... does it solve the braindumping problem? Absolutely not... the braindumpers would simply figure out what essays to prepare for.

Guys, there's no easy way to stop cheating by simply making tests different or harder or longer or more random. The only way to stop cheating is by discovering and punishing those who cheat.

That's unofficially what we have in IT... you start out at the bottom, and you work your way up. And as you go, you gain experience, documented by the jobs you've held.

Unfortunately, as an IT tech, there's really no "portfolio of work" we can show... most of us don't tend to do a whole lot of writing in our jobs... no reports to write, no presentations to make. We simply fix stuff. That'd be like asking a car repair expert to have a portfolio of work.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!