1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to study for A+?

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by Tasha, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Tasha

Tasha New Member

Hi i have just recently been looking into studying the CompTIA A+ (possibly others like n+ in the future) I searched online and have seen many websites offering either home learning or a classroom type course... but i have read in some posts here you can self study with a few books and videos, then take the exam?
    Basically, im confused, i have also seen a course A+ essentials, is this something extra for beginners?

What would you guys recommend to be the best way i study, as i know how to use a computer, and do some software and very basic hardware stuff but im basically a newbie to it.
    Can you suggest books and i know about the professor messer videos. Should i think about getting a spare pc to practice on or is that not necessary? As i have never built a pc.
    Does the books/videos start from a beginners point?

Sorry if i sound dumb, i have just gotten really confused about all the information and course while i was searching :oops:

2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Hi Tasha,

The A+ is the basic foundation certification for IT Technicians. I'm curious as to why you are doing it, as if you are only a user then this probably isn't the course for you. Most people doing the A+ have at least a good interest in IT.

The Mike Meyers book is generally what people here use, but there are others. I have no hesitation recommending the Meyers book, I have it myself. That and the Prof Messer vids should do you fine.

The certification is not really worth anything if it is merely theoretical. I would get the cheapest working PC you can find so you can pull it apart and install components, as that's what the A+ is all about.

HTH

3. Tasha

Tasha New Member

Thanks ade1982, i can probably get a computer to play with from my dad/brother so i'll try that and i shall be getting the book :)
    Im doing this certification as i left school only with gcse's no further schooling and want a qualification and this is the one that i want to do.
    Glad i can do this without paying £1000 or so!

Edit: I forgot to ask, do you know of anyone within the UK i can book the test with? Googling comes up with a lot of results not sure which ones to trust, also some are from the USA.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  4. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  5. Tasha

Tasha New Member

Thank you :D

6. Ren-Exar-Droma

Ren-Exar-Droma New Member

I dont know if I should make a new topic or bump this one as its related to my question.

So on to my question:

Is it really necessary to buy a Comptia A+ study book if I have watched Professormesser, and bought the boson practice exam?

Also I have a pdf of Exam cram, which has questions and explanations, do I still need to buy meyers comptia a+ book?

Thanks!

7. rocdamike

rocdamike Byte Poster Gold Member

I would still recommend purchasing the book. In my experience although CBTs can be excellent (Professor Messer's videos were awesome!), I tend to find that books go into more detail and I digest the information more easily as I often make notes.

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCENT, F5 101 Application Delivery Fundamentals, ITIL Foundation (2011), CompTIA (A+, Network+), MTA (Windows OS, Networking, HTML5)
    WIP: CCNA Security
    Ren-Exar-Droma likes this.