How to measure your IT Career

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by aushus, Apr 6, 2015.

1. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

Hey Everyone,

As most people might know, I think a lot every single day

I was wondering, how can someone measure their IT career's success?

I thought this would be an interesting topic as not many people talk about this kind of stuff and I am eager to find out and lets keep it real floks.

Is it the more money you make the more valuable you are in your career? Or is it the tasks and the responsibility you do or is the the company size or job title.

How can you measure.

Also are you just good as your last company.

For an example in your second last to company if you did tier 3 stuff and in your new one you do easier stuff are you based on the easier stuff you did in your new company?

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

1. How many products have you created
    2. How many IT companies have you started
    3. How many patents do you hold
    4. How much money do you have in the bank
    5. What tasks can you do that give you market value

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

For me I look at where i was this time in previous years. 3 years ago I was out of work, a year later i was laying cables for networks, then after that I was in my current role and now I am a lot more experienced overall, my confidence is good and even though im looking round for another role, I am quite happy with the way things have progressed.

If i can say in a years time that i have 2 exams under my belt, A+ and N+ then i will see that as some form of success, and if i get another job, which in the long run would be good for my career, then again I will see that as progression.

Depends on the individual really

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I think it's impossible to measure, if you're happy with it that's all that matters. Ideally a good career will give you the freedom to have a nice life. Work to live don't live to work

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

It's definitely an interesting question, but perhaps only for people where their IT career is their primary concern? For example, I know for a fact that I do not give my career 100%. Do I give my employer 100% of my time and attention when at work? Absolutely. Do I work OT? Yes. Am I at the top of where I could be? Hell no. But, I do believe that, given my life goals, my career is fundamentally successful. I work for an employer I like, in a location I like, for hours I enjoy, with people I like, for a wage I can live on. I have been promoted, and work on more complex projects year on year.

Am I a CEO? No. Am I a manager? No. I only just earn over the national average wage, I'm pretty sure. But everything else for me levels out. Plus, my main focus is my life; then my writing career. If I can't make my writing career work, then IT will get my full focus. Then, and only then, may everything hellish and holy help the world of IT.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Excellent topic.

Personally I believe our own success should be measured by our own goals and aspirations, do material things really measure success? Does having money and owning high cost possessions mean your successful and does that success bring you happiness?

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  7. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

I made this topic, because I always wonder.

It is funny I am making 40 percent more money compared to my last job but the tasks in my new job are so boring and easy and not challenging and I am a person that seeks the fast pace and challenges, but I am doing less complex work and more support work than project but yet my salary is more, which is why I am job hunting at the moment to find something challenging, with the same amount of money or more, but the job market in new Zealand is very crap, I haven't even flicked out my cv to anyone yet. I might move countries I always loved UK, I have worked with a lot of british people in NZ and they are so nice and openly friendly.

8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Aushus, you're going to be no better off over here than in NZ, the kind of roles you're looking for are few and far between and over here you have no previous history, I think you would just be starting from scratch again and looking for work not long after starting your next role.

As far as measuring my career, I don't, not really. I set myself goals, certifications to have etc but that's about it. The job I am in has been the longest one I have held since I left the forces back in 1998, so far I have been in the same company for just over 4 years. Prior to that I spent a good number of years working as a contractor, earning decent money but not actually having a 'career path' to speak of.

I am now a manager of an IT related team (Cloud) but I know that my next role will be more hands on rather than hands off that's expected from my current role.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  9. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

Simon those roles maybe rare but in my last role I was in a role like that. Unfortunately I took it for grantage and you know the story..

It is so depressing to know that a company wanted you to stay with them so badly and was willing to do whatever then you behave like a dick and now you
    cannot rarely find a role like that. It is real depressing because you really know something once it is gone and be arrogance and ignorantness (if thats a word) is to blame for it. I being searching the market for a long time and i doubt i will find anything like this in new zealand but i have to keep my hopes up and stay postivie.

I am a person that loves challenges and get bored easily, i am nearly bored in my current place and i am doing things that i did in my first 3 years in IT in this current place, it is so easy and i am trying to impress everyone but even if i do get a chance to do other things in the company it wont be complex and challenging like my last place. I hope I am not cursed and I hope I will get another chance for a role like that :( I hope god helps me

:(

Also isn't new zealand IT experience the same.

I mean IT is IT weather you work in England or Australia or New Zealand (correct me if i am wrong)

It is so depressing each day you feel like your going backwards in your career even though you get paid more :(

In my new company I am quiet and speak when is needed, cause I do not wanna behave like a kid again

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015