How to learn hardware side

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pcmark, Apr 10, 2006.

1. pcmark

pcmark New Member

Hi guys, just a question if I may.

I consider myself pretty good at the software side of Windows, and have a couple of MCPs (going for the MCSA).
    However I haven't ever built a PC, and am not familiar with the hardware side of things.
    Now that i hope to get an entry level job once I complete my MCSA, but a thought came to mind, and that is that I will most likely work with hardware as well as software (you know, entry level, fixing hardware/software problems).

So the question is How can i learn about the hardware side, like learning how to build a computer and about the hardware components and bios (basically the core stuff)? If I were to say buy a secondhand computer and a book for the A+, would that cover it?

Opinions appreciated! :D

Certifications: MCP
    WIP: MCSA
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF! i think a good step would be the A+ and Network+ as you can use the 2 combined as an elective for the MCSA too.. There is a great book for the A+ (A+ all in one by mike meyers) and you can pick up a 2nd hand pc and parts from ebay for next to nothing... what MCP's you got?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. pcmark

pcmark New Member

I've got the 270 and 290. And I'm not as interested in gaining an extra cert as I am in gaining the knowledge (because of time restrictions).
    So if I were to study a book (say, the Meyers A+ Passport), would that teach me about the hardware side and how to build/repair computers?

Certifications: MCP
    WIP: MCSA
  4. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

The Meyers book would certainly teach you the fundamentals but there is no substitute for real experience. There are always things that you'll encounter when working on a PC that booklearning will just not have prepared you for. As Zimbo says, pick up a dirt cheap PC and rip it apart and put it back together. You'll be amazed how much you can pick up.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

this is also a great book.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT