How to create a virtual lab/server to study for MCDST?

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by hugorilho, Mar 26, 2009.

1. hugorilho

hugorilho Byte Poster

Hi guys. I'm studying for the MCDST exam. I'm completely new to this forum so I still haven't done any searching within it. There probably are already many threads focusing on a particular topic that i'm interested in: how to create my own virtual lab/server to study for the MCDST? Should I use MS Virtual PC or MS Virtual Server? (I've downloaded both) I know how to use VPC but not VS. I'm not sure what to use to test all the different features of windows XP pro. So to cut the long story short: I have all the resources i need (well, i guess...). My laptop has 3 gigs of RAM which is good enough and I have my old XP pro OEM cd (I'm running Vista SP1 now). I just need some guidance on how to start. Thank you for your help and patience to put up with boring newbies like me! Hehe!

Certifications: MCDST
  2. LordMoolyBap

LordMoolyBap Nibble Poster

I only know what I do which is when I want to mess around with windows server I have it installed on my virtual pc. I use MS virtual PC 2007. If you have downloaded it then just install it then go to create a new virtual computer

[​IMG]

I have just borrowed this image as an example. Click new and then follow the wizard. Run the virtual computer and then install. Doing the installation is part of the set up and is included in the labs of some of the MS exams.

Hope that helps. 8)

Dom

Certifications: HND (Comp) MBCS
    WIP: Msc Intelligent Systems
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

yep there's an option to network the PCs too I have wind2k3 with 3 xp virtual PCs running.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. hugorilho

hugorilho Byte Poster

so does that mean that i can for example, install windows server 2003 on a VPC and install XP Pro (i think 3 gigs of RAM should be enough for this...) on one or two VPC's and then try to mingle them?

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

yes aslong as you have the licenses for them. so that means you either need an xp disc for each virtual machine or license. With the the MS press books you get free trias of xp and you can download win2k3 from MS or technet.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. hugorilho

hugorilho Byte Poster

Thank you so much for the tips. You guys do great work here. Keep up with it.

7. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Off on a tangent but related to this thread- can you do the same thing with Sun virtualbox?
    I downloaded it to try out the beta of Windows 7, and have just recently installed Linux on it. I'm sure I could get a copy of Windows 2000/2003 server from work.

8. blackadush

blackadush New Member

Hey you can also use VMWare. I use it to create a network environment. You can install various OS Servers and clients. The environment behaves like a switch. I think VMWare would do the job

9. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA