How Old

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by double_decca, Feb 3, 2013.

1. double_decca

double_decca New Member

Hi,

I am 54 years old and am looking to change career from Mechanical Engineering to IT.

I am studying A+ and Network+, using a self study method, which I think is perferrable.

Is this too late...

Derek

Certifications: MCP: 70-270
    WIP: A+, Network+, Linux+
  2. mackie

mackie Nibble Poster

Hi

I am 52 years old and am working on my A+ so no, I don't think you are ever too old! I suppose as well it depends what you want to do in the future. I work in retail and also have a small accounting practice. I decided to do A+ as an "add on" to my business because accounting and I.T. go hand in hand. Either way go for it and good luck. Interesting to see that you are doing Linux+. I have dual booted my laptop with Linux Mint and reckon it is a fantastic system.

Robert

Certifications: IAB, Sage 50, MOUS and MCP
    WIP: A+
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Eh? You on the wind up mate? :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

You are never too old to do most things in life I firmly believe, obviously my olympic sprinting days are behind me but you get what I mean. The only thing I would say is that if you want to make the move, take it very seriously, as this is your livelihood we're talking about. If at any stage you're having doubts I'd re-evaluate your motivations for changing careers. If you're loving it and giving 110%, that's all anyone can ask for and all you can ask of yourself, at any age.

I personally love IT and wouldn't entertain anything else, hopefully you'll be the same. Good luck sir
    Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. double_decca

double_decca New Member

Hi Robert,

I use Ubuntu Linux rather than Windows.

But I have passed 70-270 and have some experience of a part time computer business repairing hardware and software in customers homes, which invariably was Windows based machines. But that was 5 years ago, I have kept my hand in... so to speak.

The main reason for the career change, is that I have to travel 130 miles to work and IT is easier than Mechanical Engineering, in my opinion.

I will get the Comptia Certitication passed before October and see what that does for me, I do not want to sit on a Helpdesk, so may restart my own business again.

Derek

Certifications: MCP: 70-270
    WIP: A+, Network+, Linux+
  6. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Whilst I understand you not wanting to sit on a helpdesk, I would defo advise you do it, at least for a bit, it will really show you what to expect from the sector and also give you invaluable experience. If you are still intent on doing your own business beyond that, then fair enough, but you should defo get some proper enterprise experience before hand. IMO that is of course.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!