1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How likely to find job with my qualifications ? - IT tech/network support, 1st line

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by nizmo, Jun 2, 2011.

1. nizmo

nizmo New Member

Hello all,

My first post here! I've come in search of some general advice for this area of work. Now I have just finished a degree in digital media, however decieded I would prefer to work within technical support and within networking instead.

I have done two courses at college which were most relevant to this, which were city and guilds level 2 IT practitioner and a level 3 btec national diploma IT practitioner.

I am soon to graduate for my degree in Bsc digital media, but am now looking for a job in this field. There are jobs available, however I don't possess thier desired skills such as server 2003/8, active directory, exchange, tcp/ip etc.

There are few which say they don't mind candidates not having those skills, as they will train. However these are very few in between.

I dont have any work experience in this field either, so I am quite limited.

I am in this sort of position which I don't really know what I want to do for a career, however as I have qualifications in this area, its somewhere to begin and see if I like it.

I have thought I would mind being out and about, more hands on approach for a job. Therefore maybe something involving network and hardware installations ? A position thats likely to get one out of the office occasionally.

So, with these qualifications, and taking into account my degree(even though a different subject area), how likely is it get a job ? I am thinking I need at least positions which say they are entry level, graduate or trainee.

I realise this usualy means very low salaries, and it depends on experience, I've worked out for a full time position, I need at least 17k a year to live ok, and of course more preferably, approx 19k.

I understand to be in a better position, work experience and various microsoft certifications/net+ would be highly benefical, but I can't afford to do that at the moment, unless I find a job where they fund these.

I've applied to a few positions already, signed up to about 5 job sites too and am checking everyday religeously. I have done my CV and had it looked at my university's careers and recruitment department, but will post it up here maybe! :)

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks!