How Does One Become Qualified In SAP?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by HungryForHertz, Jul 31, 2007.

1. HungryForHertz

HungryForHertz Bit Poster

As title says. I see it around a lot but how does someone become good with it?

Certifications: None yet.
    WIP: A+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Depends on what you mean by 'SAP'. That acronym seems to be fairly popular!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You can take the courses and the certs, it ends up being the same game though. You will still find your first break very hard to get, and probably low paying. If you manage to get 2 years good experience then you are off and running, but until that point all the knowledge in the worlds not gonna impress most people.

http://www.sap.com/services/education/certification/index.epx

You could try getting a job with SAP direct, its a long shot but would be a great start.

Theres various roles within SAP that you can do, they sell a product suite so it really depends.

Functional consultants, or business analysts to you and me can command large salaries but need to know a vertical industry well as well as the SAP product range.

Then you have the technical roles, support, developer, expert user etc.

Support requires same skills as regular support, knowledge networks and databases etc. Just with a SAP slant.
    They call their middleware Basis you will be expected to be able to support this.

Developer, you will need to know Java or ABAP or probably both.
    It might be tough as there will be alot of ABAP programmers with years of exp. However the Java angle might provide a break.

Developer / Expert User, you could learn one or more SAP products very well and know how to install configure etc. They have datawarehousing, accounting, supply chain, CRM, ERP, HR, EIS, stock control, portal etc products.

They are seen as enterprise apps, theres alot of other vendors also in this space, oracle, siebel, JD Edwards, Peoplesoft, Hyperion, Business Objects etc. Microsoft dynamics is their bid to enter this space.

The SAP products seem to come from a mainframe background which means that its not as easy to pick up skills as it is with microsoft tech. You will need a fairly hefty machine to run the apps as they are server apps, you can get evaluation downloads but they can be several gigs. The good news is that they seem to be trying to modernise and go after more business so they are updating alot of their stuff, including their training and cert program.

5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Can I ask, are you looking into SAP because you are interested in it, or are you looking into it because of the salary?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

First do an accounting degree- then go work for SAP or a SAP vendor and get them to train you solidly for 5 years on everything as you work 12 and 15 hour days for 6 days a week. [sleep on Sundays]

....basically you have no life for 10 years...:twisted:

I used to know someone that did this and flies around the world working - for about 100,000 pounds per year....:blink

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff