How do you possibly address that you have no work experience?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Richy19, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Richy19

Richy19 Bit Poster

Well as many students i dont really have any work experience (i helped my dad with "data input" but nothing that could go on a CV) and i wanted to know how can i make the CV look good and such without any work on it?

WIP: BTEC ND IT, CCENT, A+, N+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

1. Volunteering
    2. Get some non-IT work experience (evening if it's summer work/temp work, etc)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Agreed get a job any job, supermarket, garage, factory, whatever, its all work experience, it will earn you a wage, hopefully show you are reliable and get you a reference etc.

Condider doing things off your own back, like A+ certification, special interest clubs, professional societies, open source development (you can offer to test, write documentation, maintain website, even if you can't code.), IT related competitions (coding, overclocking, etc), voluteering, work placements, etc.

Embelish what you do have like education, enthusiasm, at 19 people aren't going to expect you to have bundles of work experience so you are lucky.

Stick in a personal profile section, its practically required these days on a CV, people want a short sales pitch paragraph at the top to see what you're all about.

You can add padding sections to you CV like interests and activities, this can give you a way to say you like to fix peoples PC etc, also it can show that you are social and have other interests. Sometimes you never know the hiring manager might just have the same interests and it might swing it for you...

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010