Hotmail account

Discussion in 'Software' started by itbookham, Jun 9, 2008.

1. itbookham

itbookham Nibble Poster

Hi,

A friend of mine is having problems receiving email from some private email addresses. His Hotmail account is not receiving them, although he is receiving emails from companies and some other email addresses.

The emails he is not receiving are not bouncing back to the senders, nor are they appearing in his Junk mail. This problem has been ongoing for several weeks and he does not think he has made any changes on his computer, which would cause this problem. I would be grateful to hear if anyone else has experienced a similar problem and if they managed to resolve it?

Many thanks. Mark

WIP: A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

has he accidentally marked those email adresses in hotmail as unsafe? if he has then they will not appear at all when sent.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Private e-mail addresses, like, from individuals? Some companies block e-mails from being sent to Hotmail and other free e-mail services... just a guess.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. itbookham

itbookham Nibble Poster

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. To my knowledge he hasn't marked the private email addresses, from individuals not companies, as unsafe. That being the case are there any other settings in a Hotmail account that can trigger this problem?

I suppose he could list all the bona fide private email addresses in Approved Senders, but this becomes a cumbersome way of working.

Thanks,
    Mark

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Is he doing this from work, if he is then Boson Michael has the answer if not and it is from home it may be be best for your friend to type in all the addreses and mark as approved recipients and senders.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Softix

Softix Bit Poster

It may be coming into his spam. Or maybe Hotmail is blocking them as a general rule. Write to Hotmail help about this..

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yeeeeeah... good luck with that! :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. itbookham

itbookham Nibble Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been doing a bit of research on the internet and it seems that Hotmail is one of the worst case scenarios for generating 'false positives' - filtering out bona fide emails.