1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Learning College? Skillstrain

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by AndrewLucas, Nov 23, 2008.

1. AndrewLucas

AndrewLucas New Member

Home Learning College? Skillstrain
    Dear Sirs, May I first thank you or those on other forums that have advised my Father Rob.
    To avoid him asking me to coach him on PC, which I am neither qualified to do and it would be like him trying to teach me to drive - which he did and it was a disaster, could someone please help.
    Following all the advise Dad received I again searched a number of search engines and ended up being even more concerned.
    Some have mentioned WatchDog and links went to one training company. Now I find training companies with multiple names - so who is who?
    If you have helped Dad in the past please e-mail him or please e-mail me. Help a student who doesn't want to become a coach
    Yours
    Andrew

2. AndrewLucas

AndrewLucas New Member

Thank you so much for the communications - I'm sure I now have the answer here:
    http://homelearningcollegethetruth.com/

Andrew

3. Slimepuppy

Slimepuppy New Member

Well Skillstrain has been reported for having outdated material and is not accredited by Microsoft even though it claims. I got scammed by them they tried to get me to be a CIW which was a bit off putting as I am a very experianced programmer in several languages. Best training books would be Dummy guides as they show everything step by step. I had a couple of learn in 24 hours stuff which is actually quite good. So here's how I would get him familiar.
    1) Using the web - get him to create an Email acount and then use the Internet
    2) Get him to write a letter on Word and use the various applications
    Once he is familiar with the computer he can find out what interests him
    A lot of the courses cost quite a bit of money and they really don't help in the long run

Certifications: Degree in Computer Science
  4. AndrewLucas

AndrewLucas New Member

I think that is rather like Dad teaching me to drive, or me teaching him to drive LOL.
    I do appreciate your advice, but I still need to find a focul point for him and/or a constructive school.
    There just has to be something for him, I cannot believe every training group is a rogue company.
    Thank you again
    Andy

5. Slimepuppy

Slimepuppy New Member

Not all are rogue but there are quite a few companies that will skin you out your hard earned money. The real problem is that - training costs money and companies are there to make money. Actually your best bet is a local college or a night school sometimes the students are better clued up than the lecturers, but the most important thing is you get practical experience for every hour of lectures you need 2 to 3 hours of practical and if you have someone else to talk to you can do some pretty good things before hand.

Certifications: Degree in Computer Science
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Necropost. Braiiiiiiiinnnnnssssssss

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

There was me trying to work out what Skillstrain were doing out in Slovakia.

Needn't have bothered... :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD