1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hnc in computing???

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Kal, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Kal

Kal New Member

hi

anyone did hnc in computing course? is it useful?

thanx

2. NenMaster

NenMaster Bit Poster

depends what you want, imo it is worthless, really regreted doing it :/

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+ Core And OS
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I haven't done one, but I can only imagine that in it's own right, it is unlikely to open major doors for you, in the same way that A+ is only an entry level cert.

I'd say both are more your "first step" in advancing to more serious and "useful" certs, eg MCSA/E CCNA or a Degree /Masters in Computing, etc, etc ..... However, I have known several people who hold an HNC in Computing and most have gone on to very fruitful careers (obviously with a good deal more training or qualifications behind them)

Hope that helps, only my thoughts :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

I found the HNC in computing useful. It's worth about 1/3 of a BSc (HND is 2/3 of a degree), or a NVQ level 3/4. It's something you can top-up (I did, after 5 years of studying pt, I was sick of it). It doesn't expire as it's an academic qualification. I've found it useful for my job as I have worked my way up from Trainee Tech to senior tech/assistant Network manager. I believe that you have to have the "triad" - academic (HNC/HND/BSc etc.), professional (MCP/MCDST/MCSA etc) and work experience.

Short answer: yes

Certifications: CITP, PGDip, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: MSc in Tech Management
  5. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hi,

I did this qualification too, infact I finished about a year ago. It was lacking in technical stuff for me, but looking back it was OK. I am now using it as credit towards an Open Uni degree. If you have nothing then it is worth having as a start point, but if you have any MCP or a few CompTIA's in my opinion it is not worth having..

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots